Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Question For Methodists

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM
  • 26 Replies

My husband is Catholic and I know almost nothing about the Methodist church.  My daughter has been asked to play handbells and sing in the choir at a local Methodist church.

My question is, do they do communion, and how is it same/different than when the Catholics do it?

Any information on service would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm Methodist. We do communion although not as often as Catholics do. I don't know the differences because I don't know how Catholics do it. And we don't have a church here so it's been a while for me.
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Communion in the Catholic church is not symbolic.  Catholics believe are taught that the bread and wine are transfigured into the Body and Blood.  The sacrament of First Communion is a firm prerequisite for receiving.

Protestants, Methodists included, observe a symbolic communion.  No magic, just ceremony.  Every Catholic Mass I've been to has everybody lining up to receive directly from the priest.  At all the Methodist services I've been to, the ushers bring the bread and wine around to the congregants who then hold it until the pastor gives the signal for everybody to eat or drink together.  And by everybody, I mean all are welcome.  Some churches and some families have their own traditions for how old a child must be to receive.  But in our church, if they're old enough to not choke on it, they're old enough.  Also, we only have one Sunday a month for Communion.

If your daughter wants to do it, I say go for it.  Methodists on the whole are a very inclusive and easygoing bunch.  And handbells are totally fun.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Quoting Bieg9093:

Communion in the Catholic church is not symbolic.  Catholics believe are taught that the bread and wine are transfigured into the Body and Blood.  The sacrament of First Communion is a firm prerequisite for receiving.

Protestants, Methodists included, observe a symbolic communion.  No magic, just ceremony.  Every Catholic Mass I've been to has everybody lining up to receive directly from the priest.  At all the Methodist services I've been to, the ushers bring the bread and wine around to the congregants who then hold it until the pastor gives the signal for everybody to eat or drink together.  And by everybody, I mean all are welcome.  Some churches and some families have their own traditions for how old a child must be to receive.  But in our church, if they're old enough to not choke on it, they're old enough.  Also, we only have one Sunday a month for Communion.

If your daughter wants to do it, I say go for it.  Methodists on the whole are a very inclusive and easygoing bunch.  And handbells are totally fun.

She's definitely doing it; she has been wanting to do handbells for a long time, and today they asked her also to join the choir, they need sopranos.  She loves anything music.

She brought home the pamphlet they had today at church and on the cover are little glasses of wine and pieces of bread and it says something about "Communion" so I was curious about the differences.  I am only familiar really with Catholic mass.

Thanks for your response.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Methodist believe communion to be symbolic. How communion is administered various. Most only hold communion once a month. It is supposed to be received by believers who ask forgiveness form their sins. Whether on receives is viewed as between them and God. It is okay to not receive.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I grew up in a Free Methodist church. We had communion like twice a year. It was symbolic since they don't believe in transubstantiation. We all had tiny 'shot glasses' of grape juice and a piece of bread- like a cube size that was cut or ripped from a whole loaf. We had to all line up and take the glass and the bread and once everyone was at their pews, the Pastor started his whole 'communion' spiel and we drank and ate and that was that.

Bigmetalchicken
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this

We do communion, usually once a month. Anyone who wishes may participate in communion. 

Think of us Methodists as the libertarian hippies of the Christian faith. We love everyone, and are rules are mostly about not being a dick about being a christian. We want to be examples of Christ's love, by loving you. Usually with delicious food and cheesy jokes.

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

We do communion, usually once a month. Anyone who wishes may participate in communion. 

Think of us Methodists as the libertarian hippies of the Christian faith.

We love everyone, and are rules are mostly about not being a dick about being a christian. We want to be examples of Christ's love, by loving you. Usually with delicious food and cheesy jokes.

YES!!!  That's exactly right!!!

Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 5:00 PM
1 mom liked this

One of my absolute favorite things in this world is watching the little kids stick their noses in the little shot glasses and smell it like it's the best thing ever!  I say little kids...mine are 12 and 15 and they still do it.  Okay, okay...I do it too sometimes!

Quoting IhartU:

I grew up in a Free Methodist church. We had communion like twice a year. It was symbolic since they don't believe in transubstantiation. We all had tiny 'shot glasses' of grape juice and a piece of bread- like a cube size that was cut or ripped from a whole loaf. We had to all line up and take the glass and the bread and once everyone was at their pews, the Pastor started his whole 'communion' spiel and we drank and ate and that was that.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:43 PM

It sure didn't used to be.

A friend's Methodist grandparents were stern, funless folks who asked even the very young grandchildren what they'd done to earn their meal, before EVERY meal. Protestant Work Ethic has a lot of background in Methodists. No dancing, no smoking, no alcohol (my grandmother's mom was Methodist and never drank as a result, although she attended United churches throughout her life.)

Quoting Bieg9093:

Quoting Bigmetalchicken:

Think of us Methodists as the libertarian hippies of the Christian faith.

We love everyone, and are rules are mostly about not being a dick about being a christian. We want to be examples of Christ's love, by loving you. Usually with delicious food and cheesy jokes.

YES!!!  That's exactly right!!!

tooptimistic
by Kelly on Oct. 6, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Yes, I am Methodist, and this is how it is.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Methodist believe communion to be symbolic. How communion is administered various. Most only hold communion once a month. It is supposed to be received by believers who ask forgiveness form their sins. Whether on receives is viewed as between them and God. It is okay to not receive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)