Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

His government paycheck is too important because of his nice house?!?!

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 51 Replies

The way I see it is if you are not working you don't get paid.  End of story.

Photo of GOP Congressman Lee Terry (R-NE) with American flag in background

Photo of GOP Congressman Lee Terry (R-NE) from Wikipedia.

It’s day five of the government shutdown giddily brought us by House Republicans. Federal workers are losing their jobs and paychecks in droves. People are worried about how they’ll pay their bills, how they’ll keep their homes, how they’ll be able to pay for their kid’s education, and how they’ll put food on the table. Members of Congress, on the other hand, still get paid even as the government is closed for business. Some members are voluntarily forgoing their pay during the shutdown. Others, however, refuse to do so. And some, like Rep. Lee Terry (R-NE) are even making outrageous comments about it.

“Dang straight” Rep. Lee Terry’s (R-NE) keeping his paycheck

According to the Omaha (NE) World, “Dang straight” is what Nebraska Republican Rep. Lee Terry said when asked if he would be keeping his government paycheck. His excuse to justify his intention?

“I’ve got a nice house and a kid in college, and I’ll tell you we cannot handle it,” Lee Terry whined. “Giving our paycheck away when you still worked and earned it? That’s just not going to fly.”

Rep. Lee Terry joins GOP Rep. Renee Ellmers (R-NC), who recently told  reporters that she “needs her paycheck” after being asked if Congress should get paid during the shutdown. Apparently, she’s “not in that position” to just refuse her own pay, even though millions of federal workers can’t afford to lose their pay forcefully. Ellmers voted for the government shutdown that did just that.

Wow. Millions of Americans have lost their homes. Millions of Americans struggle to pay for their child’s education. And most of them do not get paid $174,000 a year to play with other people’s lives while sitting on their asses. House Republicans are literally holding America hostage and we the taxpayers are still paying them. Since when do we hand money to hostage-takers — like Lee Terry — in America? Last time I checked, we throw them in prison.

The NE and NC Republicans’ hypocrisy is the perfect example of the GOP’s “I got mine, screw you” mantra they’ve been practicing for decades.

Lee Terry’s hypocrisy here is absolutely stunning. It’s the perfect example of the Republican “I got mine, screw you” mantra that they have been practicing for decades. They don’t care about the homes and children of the federal employees they just furloughed. They don’t care about millions of Americans who struggle to keep a roof over their heads and food on the table. The GOP only care about themselves and implementing their destructive agenda at any cost, even if it means crashing the economy and wrecking the country to do it. But none of that bothers them, right? After all, they have nice houses and a guaranteed paycheck. The rest us simply do not matter.

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:48 AM
6 moms liked this

Um, hello....all of the Democrats are taking their paychecks too!  Throw them all out.

PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Oh I know.  But he is the one who has the balls to say this.  How cocky and completely uncalled for.

Quoting TranquilMind:

Um, hello....all of the Democrats are taking their paychecks too!  Throw them all out.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:49 AM
Special.
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree with that.  That is a jerk statement no matter who you are. 

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Oh I know.  But he is the one who has the balls to say this.  How cocky and completely uncalled for.

Quoting TranquilMind:

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Wow.. what an asshole thing to say.

.Milfshake.
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:42 PM
and this guy is in congress....smh
parentalrights1
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM
And meanwhile my TSA mom and stepfather get to work without pay because their food and home just isn't important enough because they didn't work hard I earn the perk of holding the country hostage
lga1965
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Minnesota nice. I'm proud of my Senator...

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/10/02/sen-al-franken-donates-salary-harvest-gop-shutdown.html

Unlike some in Congress who claim they won’t be taking their salary, Senator Al Franken (D-MN) specified the charity to which his salary will be sent. Franken will be donating his salary during the GOP shutdown to Second Harvest Heartland, a hunger relief organization that works throughout Minnesota.

“Second Harvest Heartland is a great organization that works throughout Minnesota, providing vital assistance to families who would otherwise go hungry,” said Senator Franken in a statement. “Just as I was prepared to do in 2011 when we faced a possible shutdown, I won’t be taking my salary. I believe that while the government is shut down, donating my salary to charity is the right thing to do, and I’m going to make sure that money goes toward helping people who might be badly affected by the shut down.”

The Senator’s office explained that he chose this organization because “he said people who rely on the federal government’s safety net programs may need help making ends meet as a result of the shutdown.”

lga1965
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Ahaaa.....they are NOT !

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/10/02/sen-al-franken-donates-salary-harvest-gop-shutdown.html

Unlike some in Congress who claim they won’t be taking their salary, Senator Al Franken (D-MN) specified the charity to which his salary will be sent. Franken will be donating his salary during the GOP shutdown to Second Harvest Heartland, a hunger relief organization that works throughout Minnesota.

“Second Harvest Heartland is a great organization that works throughout Minnesota, providing vital assistance to families who would otherwise go hungry,” said Senator Franken in a statement. “Just as I was prepared to do in 2011 when we faced a possible shutdown, I won’t be taking my salary. I believe that while the government is shut down, donating my salary to charity is the right thing to do, and I’m going to make sure that money goes toward helping people who might be badly affected by the shut down.”

The Senator’s office explained that he chose this organization because “he said people who rely on the federal government’s safety net programs may need help making ends meet as a result of the shutdown.”

lga1965
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:44 PM

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/10/02/sen-franken-other-mn-lawmakers-donate-salary-during-shutdown/

The other lawmakers include Sen. Amy Klobuchar, Rep. Michele Bachmann, Rep. John Kline, Congressmen Rick Nolan, Rep. Erik Paulsen and Rep. Tim Walz.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)