Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

In general there is a difference of behavior between people raised/living in poverty as compared to other classes.

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM
  • 100 Replies
1 mom liked this

There is a lot more involved in living in poverty than just having less money than other socio-economic groups.  For example;  In general there is a difference of behavior between people raised/living in poverty as compared to other classes.

Behavior patterns of poverty are not compatible with middle class systems

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Some of you may have heard this explained as "acting ghetto" or other slang terms.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM

In other words there is more involved in getting people out of poverty than just giving them access to more money. 

For example something like this must be addressed:

It should not surprise a mentor, a case manager or law enforcement personnel that a client is unable to follow directions. In poverty the present moment is what matters. Sequence is of no value. As a result, life is disorganized, lacking schedule, plans and priorities. In turn, tasks may remain incomplete.

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Understanding and Working with Students and Adults from Poverty
The hidden rules of the middle class govern schools and work; students from generational poverty
come with a completely different set of hidden rules.
by Ruby Payne, Baytown, Texas
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I had to hit him, Miss! He was messin' with me!"
"What did he say?"
"Nothin'! He was lookin' at me, Miss!"
If this incident is familiar to you, then you have encountered the hidden rules of generational
poverty. Quite simply, one rule is that non-verbal communication is much more important than
acrogodess
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:51 PM
3 moms liked this
Interesting except I grew up middle class in central Texas. They yelled, fought physically and cursed like sailors. Huh. Who knew.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm. I have lived both in poverty and as an upper-middle class stepdaughter. I didn't notice much of a difference in behavior, at least among the kids/teens.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I agree. But, would like to add if the area you live in is generally impoverished that those in poverty can bring people down to this level of action as a means of adaptation as opposed to those who are raised with such skills bringing up those in poverty. Since schools seem ill equipped to change this scenario, I am curious as to how one would combat this trend. Language and behaviors are something that is more often not taught but learned through example. Without enough examples and socialization to these other class levels how does a child, or really any person, become immersed in such a cultural.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Not true for the poor people I knew and know.  Maybe true for the poor people discussed in the article, but I would be wary, given that the tone of the writing is so condescending and generalized.  

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Thinking upon my own childhood; this doesn't apply to poor people in general, it applies to poor (insert race) trash.

purpleducky
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought there was an article that actually said that more eduated people are more likely to use swear words. Oh well.

I think this is a gross overgeneralization but I do agree with the general idea that it requires more than money.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 5:01 PM
9 moms liked this

What is with this kick you are on??

I believe that poor people tend to lay it out there more whereas wealthy people tend to put up a front.  Other than that, there are really few differences in things such as cheating, abuse, addiction, lying, stealing.....bad behavior exists everywhere.  How its displayed and handled may be different.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)