Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Newspaper Editor Blames the Decline of his Industry on.......Single Moms?

Newspaper Editor Blames Decline of His Industry on Single Moms

Chris Powell, the managing editor of the local Connecticut newspaper the Journal-Inquirer, has an interesting theory as to why nobody wants to buy his newspaper anymore. It’s not the Internet’s fault, Powell wrote in an op-ed in his own newspaper this week. Single moms are to blame:

Even in a supposedly prosperous and well-educated state like Connecticut, how strong can demand for [the news] be now that half the children are being raised without two parents at home and thus acquiring developmental handicaps; 70 percent of community college and state university freshmen have not mastered what used to be considered basic high school skills; poverty has risen steadily even as government appropriations in the name of remediating poverty have risen steadily; and democracy has sunk so much that half the eligible population isn't voting in presidential elections, 65 percent isn't voting in state elections, and 85 percent isn't voting in municipal elections?

He goes on:

Indeed, newspapers still can sell themselves to traditional households—two-parent families involved with their children, schools, churches, sports, civic groups, and such. But newspapers cannot sell themselves to households headed by single women who have several children by different fathers, survive on welfare stipends, can hardly speak or read English, move every few months to cheat their landlords, barely know what town they're living in, and couldn't afford a newspaper subscription even if they could read. And such households constitute a rising share of the population.

Perhaps these illiterate, ignorant, felonious welfare queens aren’t buying Powell’s newspaper because they do not actually exist. Despite Powell’s assertion that a “rising” proportion of single-parent families have killed the newspaper industry, several of the social ills he identifies are not, in fact, escalating. The U.S. illiteracy rate has not budged in 10 years. The U.S. poverty rate did rise during the recession—to about the level it was in 1993. Other claims in Powell’s piece—that single mothers can hardly speak, “barely know what town they’re living in,” and are single-handedly imbuing their children with “developmental handicaps”—are too made up to refute. (If Powell had properly optimized his op-ed for publication on the Internet, perhaps he could have provided links to his sources?)

Wow.. interesting theory.

So what's the deal? Are we supposed to be multiplying, baby making and raising machines or not? Are we allowed abortions if we are not married? Are we supposed to be subservient to males and give them sex if we provoke it with our evil bodies or are we supposed to learn to close our legs?

Please Chris Powell write the answers of these questions in your newspaper so I can have a man read it to me later, or tweet it since that's the only form of literature my small female brain can handle.

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 5:21 PM
Replies (21-30):
lga1965
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know who is to blame for paper, not online ,newspaper subscriptions dropping but I couldn't stand not having a newspaper in my hands to read. If our Mpls paper disappears, I will be seriously depressed.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this
Just off subject, Obama wasn't raised by a "single" mom. Obama's grandparents raised him. So technically he was raised in a two parent household.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Obama is only to blame because he's a product of a single mother.

We're evil/ignorant/poor/uneducated/stupid, and are obviously at the root of every single problem this society is encountering.

Obviously. Stick a husband in the house of every single mom - no matter how horrid, ignorant, or worthles he is - and voila! Perfect society! Im patiently waiting for the next available man to come save poor little ol' me.

:/

Quoting idunno1234:

Single mothers are to blame for everything.

I'm sure they're to blame for the stink bug invasion I'm dealing with now.

Or wait....wasn't that Obama?

Well okay, Obama and single mothers are to blame for all ills in this world, including wars, government shut downs and stink bug invasions.

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:30 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in an area with a relatively low cost of living. There has been two huge local factories close in he last 10 years, major lay offs. It's caused a decline in our local economy...there are a lot of people in this city receiving welfare of some kind.

But I have never, ever, ever met someone like that. I hear SO much about these people, and about "welfare queens" ..but I have never met one, or seen one..ever. Where are these people?

Is this really all you have to say about a newspaper editor so harshly insulting single mothers, and blaming the decline of the newspaper industry on them? Or is it that you agree?

Quoting futureshock:

I cannot believe the author of this piece doesn't think people like this exist.

But newspapers cannot sell
themselves to households headed by single women who have several
children by different fathers, survive on welfare stipends, can hardly
speak or read English, move every few months to cheat their landlords,
barely know what town they're living in, and couldn't afford a newspaper
subscription even if they could read. And such households constitute a
rising share of the population.

IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this
I do love the newspaper, but I'm going to guess that access to any news you could want..online, for free...is probably to blame.

That and...I can't imagine this jackass's paper being that great.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't know who is to blame for paper, not online ,newspaper subscriptions dropping but I couldn't stand not having a newspaper in my hands to read. If our Mpls paper disappears, I will be seriously depressed.

deadlights86
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM
We used to get the paper every day. The only person who read it was my 8 yo he read the funny pages. Its so much easier and cheaper to get the news online.
stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Oh please ....the only people they can sell to nowadays are generally the older generations and coupon clippers occasionally.

mcknitro
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Yes blame the single moms. Deadbeat dads aren't at all apart of the problem:) What a pompous ass.

Let's see, I'm a single, working mom who owns her own home, gets a daily newspaper, DD tested above average when tested in Kindergarten (she's 5). Yep, single moms are to blame and apparently have developmentally delayed children. lol.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:52 AM
Doesn't do much good if they are already pregnant.

Quoting futureshock:

Quoting LauraKW:

Oh, and more abortions would help with a lot of those numbers, wouldn't they?

How about just using birth control?

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Asshole!

lga1965
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
And the crossword fans ? I love to be able to save articles ....from tbe actual paper....
Yes, I am.of the " older generation" and I love reading online but I can't do without the actual paper. The Online versions leave things out. The PAPER doesn't.
Sometimes "progress" is not all that great.

Quoting stormcris:

Oh please ....the only people they can sell to nowadays are generally the older generations and coupon clippers occasionally.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)