Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Blocking cars from taking a picture of Mount Rushmore

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM
  • 137 Replies

How much more money is this administration going to spend to be vindictive?

Cones are shown along the road to Mount Rushmore. The National Parks Service placed the cones there to prevent viewers from stopping on the side of the road to view the monument.
Cones are shown along the road to Mount Rushmore. The National Parks Service placed the cones there to prevent viewers from stopping on the side of the road to view the monument. / Submitted photo

Blocking access to trails and programs at South Dakota’s most popular attraction was one thing, but state officials didn’t expect Congress’ budget stalemate to shut down a view of Mount Rushmore.

The National Park Service placed cones along highway viewing areas outside Mount Rushmore this week, barring visitors from pulling over and taking pictures of the famed monument.

LIVE social, video coverage: Government shutdown

The cones first went up Oct. 1, said Dusty Johnson, Gov. Dennis Daugaard’s chief of staff. The state asked that they be taken down, and federal officials did so with some of them. The state was told the cones were a safety precaution to help channel cars into viewing areas rather than to bar their entrance.

“I think reasonable people can disagree about that,” Johnson said.

The cones were down again Friday as a blizzard hit the Black Hills and plows needed access to the roads, Johnson said. He said the state would be monitoring to see whether the cones are put back along viewing areas.

“Once the snow’s off the ground, we’re going to be keeping an eye on how the cones go up,” Johnson said.

The Buffalo News reported that a tour group of dozens of people from western New York was unable to take pictures of the monument because highway viewing areas were coned off.

“It’s all closed up,” the newspaper quoted North Collins, N.Y., resident Hilde Werneth as saying. “They won’t even let you stop and take a picture. You can only drive by.”

Jim Hagen, secretary of the South Dakota Department of Tourism, said the situation is hurting people from out-of-state and international visitors who are in South Dakota to visit the monument.

“They won’t even let you pull off on the side of the road,” Hagen said. “I just don’t know what they’re trying to accomplish.”

A spokeswoman for the National Park Service in Omaha confirmed that the monument is closed, but she said she didn’t have details about cones. A message left at Mount Rushmore was not returned.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20131005/NEWS/310050021/Mount-Rushmore-blockage-stirs-anger-S-D-?gcheck=1&nclick_check=1

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Wow!
RandRMomma
by Maya on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:10 PM
3 moms liked this
First world problems.
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:11 PM
3 moms liked this

Yeah, 'cause those cones are going to stay there for more than 5 hours... No one could POSSIBLY get past those :D

andiemomo3
by Andie on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:12 PM

Aholes.

candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM

I am sorry that I am not surprised by this

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:13 PM

So?

We live in the first world.

Quoting RandRMomma:

First world problems.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM
2 moms liked this

SUch a dick move. If I drove all that way, you can believe I'd move some dumb ass cones and park and take all the pics I want. How can you keep people from seeing a rock monument???  This is getting more ridiculous by the day. 

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:14 PM

It is still a waste of money, time, and workers for something that isn't even controlled by the Park Service.

Quoting LindaClement:

Yeah, 'cause those cones are going to stay there for more than 5 hours... No one could POSSIBLY get past those :D

RandRMomma
by Maya on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:16 PM
3 moms liked this
So, there are more important things to worry about. Cones (that can be removed) in front of Mount Rushmore are the least of our worries.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

So?

We live in the first world.

Quoting RandRMomma:

First world problems.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 6, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Check, check, check: yup, that's bureaucracy!

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

It is still a waste of money, time, and workers for something that isn't even controlled by the Park Service.

Quoting LindaClement:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN