Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NBC: Police Remove Vietnam War Veterans at Memorial Wall

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM
  • 13 Replies

Via William Jacobson, NBC's affiliate in Washington, D.C. reports that police ordered tourists and Vietnam war veterans who were visiting the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall to leave the memorial at one point on Friday.

After one group of veterans went around the barricade, "the park ranger told them the wall was closed," NBC's Mark Seagraves reported. "Later another group of vets showed up and moved the barricades. At that point, the memorial filled with vets and tourists. That's when police came and moved everyone out."

The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall is a black granite outdoor wall on which the names of the 58,272 service members who died or were unaccounted for during the Vietnam war are inscribed.

It takes more manpower and costs the government more money to close down an outdoor wall than to let people walk past it and pay their respects.

The Obama administration has been very selective in devoting resources to shutting down memorials.

Obama's policy, MAKE IT HURT

Minnow Slayer

by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Federal officials have closed a number of popular tourist attractions in Washington, citing the government shutdown, but they've left lesser-known locations un-barricaded, as evidenced by an interactive map compiled by House Republicans.

"It appears as though only the highly visible monuments and areas are being closed to the public β€” further proof that the Obama Administration is only playing politics and purposely choosing to make this shut down as painful as possible," House Natural Resources Committee chairman Doc Hastings, R-Wash., said.

Hastings' committee staff compiled photos of high-profile, open-air sites closed by the National Park Service, including: the Georgetown Waterfront; the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial; the Sculpture Garden; parts of the National Mall; and the Lincoln Memorial.

The closure of the World War II Memorial received national attention Tuesday after aging World War II veterans, aided by members of Congress and their staff, moved the barricades to visit the monument.

On the other hand, Hastings' team noted that the Constitution Gardens, the Upper Senate Park, and the Japanese-Americans Memorial, among others, remain open.

National Review's Jim Geraghty tweeted a photo of "the District of Columbia War Memorial: apparently not important enough to shut down."

β€œThe Obama Administration is not only taking the unnecessary and egregious step of closing off open spaces and monuments β€” places without doors and gates that are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week β€” but is selectively choosing where to apply this policy," Hastings said.

tweety101149
by Platinum Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Again...Obama did not cannot shut down anything, he cannot order what is to be shut down once congress aka BOEHNER allowed the shut down to go through...what every national monuments are shut down in DC and elsewhere like YelllowStone, Florida Everglades, and others are done by federal selection of Parks and Recreation...not the President.  And now we go back to who started this all...... Congress.  BOEHNER. 

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:41 PM
You know what would solve this problem? Everybody, all politicians, working together and solve this tiny matter of the government being shutdown then nobody would have to worry about the memorials.
tooptimistic
by Kelly on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Wow.  All because the other side will not negotiate.  What would it take to open it back up?  They cant pass something just for things like this, or headstart?  Its all or nothing? 

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM

That is why they went there right?  They went to make a point and to cause a stir.  They knew before they went that it was closed, moved the barricades and went in anyway.  Who does that?

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM
3 moms liked this
They should make the Mexican border a national park.....then they could get all the guards there to close it.
lga1965
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Quoting tweety101149:

Again...Obama did not cannot shut down anything, he cannot order what is to be shut down once congress aka BOEHNER allowed the shut down to go through...what every national monuments are shut down in DC and elsewhere like YelllowStone, Florida Everglades, and others are done by federal selection of Parks and Recreation...not the President.  And now we go back to who started this all...... Congress.  BOEHNER. 

Yup. Good points !

I bet it hurts them to know that NOT EVERYTHING is Obama's fault. ;)

MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this
OK, I've never been there, so maybe there's something I don't know, but why does it need to be barricade off and closed? It's an outdoor structure, correct? So why can't it just be left open to the public, to be walked up to and looked at? Why does it need staff at all, except for cleaning and maintenance?
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:21 PM
2 moms liked this
It doesn't need to be barricaded. In fact it cost more to put up the barricades and post people there than it would to have left it alone.

Quoting MamaJess9:

OK, I've never been there, so maybe there's something I don't know, but why does it need to be barricade off and closed? It's an outdoor structure, correct? So why can't it just be left open to the public, to be walked up to and looked at? Why does it need staff at all, except for cleaning and maintenance?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 10:23 PM
That's kind of what I thought. So why is it barricaded? I don't understand.

Quoting DSamuels:

It doesn't need to be barricaded. In fact it cost more to put up the barricades and post people there than it would to have left it alone.

Quoting MamaJess9:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)