Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

? on how to explain being a witch ...

Posted by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
  • 70 Replies
...to a 3 year old. This Halloween the time has finally come where my son is noticing decorations. He is fascinated by one in particular he saw in the store - a black hatted, wart adorned, green skinned hag of a witch that shakes and cackles. I am trying to explain to him that it is just a fairy tale impression of what a witch is but that is NOT what a real witch is. He just giggles at me and tells me "no Mommy, witches are not real". So I am just curious how other mommas out there handled explaining the Halloween/hollywood witch vs the real thing. Or should I just let it go and wait a few years?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM

what do you mean "the real thing"?
you mean people who believe that they can conjure spirits etc?

3 years old is too young to be able to grasp the intricacies of what goes on in real life (via some sort of practices by people) and the witches of halloween and tv/movie/stories.

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I just explain that yes, witches are real, and look nothing like that. Sometimes that's enough, sometimes not. Depends on whether or not the child is mine, and whether other people have already been trying to tell him what is/isn't real.

Saphira1207
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, depending on the child I'd just say that Witches practice a religion that worships nature called Wicca and that they look like everyone else.  I'd also explain that what he sees in the store is just for fun.

If he asks anything more than that be honest at an age appropriate level.  There's no need to lie or make him fear real Witches.  They are extremly nice and tolerant of everyone and every other religion.

muslimah
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I never let my daughter celebrate Halloween when she was younger. It goes against Islam so we never talked about it.

Now she is 16 going on 21 and I pretty much let her make her own decisions now that she is older and very mature. To my dislike she has decided to participate in Halloween over the last couple years.

I assume she probably views witches as what you explained above. As far as I know she doesn't know there are real witches and has only been exposed to the Halloween version of a fairy tail witch.

We never discussed it because it really isn't an interest of mine and I lack knowledge on real life witches and Wiccen myself and couldn't explain it to her anyways.

I never knew anything about real witches or that there was religion called Wiccen myself until just a few years ago when I met a girl who said she was a witch and practiced Wiccen but I really don't discuss religion with people in real life so I never asked her asked her about it

Subhan Allah ( سبحان الله )"Glory be to Allah"
 Alhamdulillah ( الحمدللہ )"All Praise to Allah"
 Allahu Akbar ( الله اكبر )"Allah is the Greatest"

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Hmm good question. He may be able to understand it better in a couple of years.

muslimah
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

3 years old is too young to be able to grasp the intricacies of what goes on in real life (via some sort of practices by people) and the witches of halloween and tv/movie/stories.

If I'm not mistaking lovemyboy is a witch. If I'm right about that I can see the importance to her that she would want to at least teach him as much she can and as much as he can as a 3 year old comprehend. I exposed my daughter to our religion every since birth.

Its.me.Sam.
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:27 AM

well if one wants to explain paganism or wicca that may be another thing...but i wouldnt make any connection between the chosen religion/practice of paganism and wicca and the witches of halloween.
most people i know who believe in those pre-christian pagan/celtic type 'religions' dont use the term witch.. but i'm not into any of that.  my preference for kids is to not really endorse any religion but i guess that doesnt work for people who are dedicated to a belief system.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

If I'm not mistaking lovemyboy is a witch. If I'm right about that I can see the importance to her that she would want to at least teach him as much she can and as much as he can as a 3 year old comprehend. I exposed my daughter to our religion every since birth.

buttersworth
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM
2 moms liked this

The real thing?

That's just so...not important and over his head.

i have a friend from high school who claimed some time in the past to be Wiccan. But i never saw a need to explain her religion to my kids.

That would be something worthy of discussion, if it arose, with a teenager. Not a toddler!

muslimah
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

well if one wants to explain paganism or wicca that may be another thing...but i wouldnt make any connection between the chosen religion/practice of paganism and wicca and the witches of halloween.
most people i know who believe in those pre-christian pagan/celtic type 'religions' dont use the term witch.. but i'm not into any of that.  my preference for kids is to not really endorse any religion but i guess that doesnt work for people who are dedicated to a belief system.

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Its.me.Sam.:

I'm not educated on it enough (actually not at all) to even make an intelligent comment. I probably should just read through and maybe get some understanding and knowledge of it and keep my mouth shut lol.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM
1 mom liked this
He's three. I'd wait a couple of years.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN