Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should bicyclists be required to have a license?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM
  • 50 Replies

House Bill 689, a Republican-sponsored measure that would slap a $15 licensing fee on every bicycle in Georgia that touches public asphalt.

The bill draws no distinction between a $3,000 carbon-fiber wonder and a $50 Wal-Mart special with training wheels. And no more passing that outgrown bike to the next kid in line – not without an official transfer of the 4”-by-7” license plate, approved by the government.

Otherwise, 6-year-old Cindy Lou, tooling the cul-de-sac in her sister’s hand-me-down overalls and hand-me-down Huffy, could be picked up and slapped with a $100 fine – her dreams of an Ivy League education shattered by a misdemeanor record.

However it probably won't get far...

Lt. Gov. Casey Cagle, who, like the bill’s sponsors and Gov. Nathan Deal, also lives in Hall County.

“I’m not interested in getting into a situation where we are taxing and registering our youth and adults for the use of their bicycles. This is not, in my mind, the right public policy decision,” Cagle said. “We should be encouraging more people to exercise. And cycling is a part of that.”

Cagle is president of the state Senate, which would have to approve H.B. 689 – if the House were foolish enough to move it. Cagle is also the Capitol’s premier cycling enthusiast.

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/political-insider/2013/oct/04/licensing-bicycles-requires-red-state-reaction/

So what do you think, is it the worst idea ever or something that holds merit?

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:58 AM
2 moms liked this

No, no licenses.  But police should get much tougher on bicyclists who break road rules.  Maybe even have their bicycles confiscated until they pay the ticket, if they don't have ID or are under age.  

There are people in my neighborhood who text while biking--often while riding down the side walk or on the wrong side of the street.  And of course, plenty of bicyclists who blow right through red lights, etc.  

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

No no no no no no no no no.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM
2 moms liked this

People have licenses to drive cars and still don't practice safe driving.

jakesmom323
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:04 AM
3 moms liked this
Off the subject, we live in a neighbor full of trails and bicycle friendly sidewalks. These fuckers ride right by your car! Flipping and cussing at us all the time because they think we won't stop at the stop sign, etc.. its like they are on a suicide mission and they are rage cycling. Lol. I wish it was illegal to be on main roads because they will get hurt one day due to a car will SMASH YOU! Doesn't look relaxing when your flipping everyone off and cussing because we are just driving down the road. Sorry....just had to vent.
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this
NO! That is just ridiculous. I do think bicyclists should go through a class that teaches proper road usage, safety, etc. I also believe cops should be more vigilant about bicyclists using the road wrongly or not being safe. I can't see putting a fee on those who wish to use a bicycle... It would be a deterrent and would also place a lot harder punishments on those who need them to survive. Maybe there's some middle ground somewhere, but this just seems to be too much.
mcginnisc
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Oh brother... I live in Georgia and this is the first I've heard of this. We have a ton of triathletes around here that need 20+ miles on their bikes and their feet running. What we need in GA is SIDEWALKS or BIKE LANES!! It chaps my hide as a runner to be so unsafe on the road...as well as cyclists.  

Cyclists have every right to be on the road..just like a vehicle. Are they going to ask a 5 year old to have a registration for a little bike with training wheels as well as a an adult that is cycling on a main thoroughfare?? It is ridiculous at best. Police in the burbs of Atlanta have better things to do than fine cyclists IMO...unless they are doing something dangerous on the roads. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

No 

lga1965
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:11 AM
1 mom liked this
we have lots of bike paths in my area but bicyclists want to ride on the roads and feel.they have the right of way. They are quite arrogant.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Look like they are just trying to make more money.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think they need licenses, but I do think they need to be held to the same standards as other vehicles using public roadways. That means stopping at stop signs and traffic lights, yielding to pedestrians and obeying the speed limit. Around here, bikers are always bitching that motorists don't respect them. But what I see a lot of is bikers failing to respect and follow traffic laws. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)