Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do teenagers in NRA T-shirts offend you?

Posted by   + Show Post

School Officials Make Student Change Out of NRA T-Shirt

by Jenny Erikson

A few weeks ago, 16-year-old Haley Bullwinkle caused a kerfuffle when she showed up at Canyon High School in Orange County wearing a National Rifle Association T-shirt. School officials made her change shirts or face disciplinary action, because the shirt violated the school’s dress code against depicted acts of violence.

This of course outraged the interwebs, because duh, freedom, and until they stop serving mystery meat in the cafeteria, you can’t ban an NRA shirt for showing a picture of a man holding a hunting rifle for being “too violent.”

"I felt like they were violating my rights, my freedom of speech," the sophomore told the Los Angeles Times. "I want to be able to wear what I want to wear within reason."

On Thursday, the school did the right thing, in this writer’s opinion, and decided to let Bullwinkle and her classmates to wear NRA shirts on campus. Wise decision guys, especially considering that that drill team twirls fake rifles and your mascot is a Comanche Indian Chief, which as Bullwinkle’s dad pointed out, could be considered to be offensive to some.

He told KTLA-TV:

“I think that if you consider the hunter, the image of the hunter to be offensive, certainly there are groups that would consider the Comanche Indian chief to be offensive”

The school district superintendent issued a statement that “Campus staff will be trained so that an incident like this does not occur again.”

If I were in charge of that training session, I’d call it Common Sense 101. Just saying.

Do teenagers in NRA T-shirts offend you?

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (11-20):
lga1965
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Kids need to observe the school dress code.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IandLoveandYou
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I really don't find he NRA emblem offensive or violent.

So.. no. But the school settled it so...what's the big deal?

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:07 AM
I agree.

Quoting cjsbmom:

Am I offended? No.

But it doesn't matter. If this shirt violated the dress code, they were within their rights to ask the student to stop wearing it. Students do not have total freedom of speech in public schools. They have to follow the rules, including dress codes. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ms-superwoman
by Silver Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

The problem wasn't that the image was offensive, the image was against the dress code. Students need to follow the rules, it's that simple.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm with it not offending me but you need to follow school dress code.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm not offended. I think the short is dumb as hell. Hell, I see no point in having a NRA to begin with. But, if the shirt is against school policy, he shouldn't be allowed to wear it.
AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM

yup.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:49 AM

No.  I only get offended by the people wearing pajamas in public. 

thetrollcat
by iluv2meow on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I think it is inapprorpiate to wear the shirt to school

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:18 AM

Our POVs do not matter much- the individual schools's dress code does.

Follow the rules- it's not too hard or face the consequences- and STOP complaining.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)