Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do teenagers in NRA T-shirts offend you?

Posted by   + Show Post

School Officials Make Student Change Out of NRA T-Shirt

by Jenny Erikson

A few weeks ago, 16-year-old Haley Bullwinkle caused a kerfuffle when she showed up at Canyon High School in Orange County wearing a National Rifle Association T-shirt. School officials made her change shirts or face disciplinary action, because the shirt violated the school’s dress code against depicted acts of violence.

This of course outraged the interwebs, because duh, freedom, and until they stop serving mystery meat in the cafeteria, you can’t ban an NRA shirt for showing a picture of a man holding a hunting rifle for being “too violent.”

"I felt like they were violating my rights, my freedom of speech," the sophomore told the Los Angeles Times. "I want to be able to wear what I want to wear within reason."

On Thursday, the school did the right thing, in this writer’s opinion, and decided to let Bullwinkle and her classmates to wear NRA shirts on campus. Wise decision guys, especially considering that that drill team twirls fake rifles and your mascot is a Comanche Indian Chief, which as Bullwinkle’s dad pointed out, could be considered to be offensive to some.

He told KTLA-TV:

“I think that if you consider the hunter, the image of the hunter to be offensive, certainly there are groups that would consider the Comanche Indian chief to be offensive”

The school district superintendent issued a statement that “Campus staff will be trained so that an incident like this does not occur again.”

If I were in charge of that training session, I’d call it Common Sense 101. Just saying.

Do teenagers in NRA T-shirts offend you?

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Replies (71-74):
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Quoting lga1965:

Anybody wearing an NRA t shirt offends me. The NRA offends me. The idiot leader of the NRA offends me.
Clear enough ?
;-)

Minnow Slayer

dotsicle
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Teens wearing that shirt do not offend me. Teens wearing saggy pants that show their butt DO offend me.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Nope...I like seeing them.

PamR
by Pam on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:18 AM

School districts around here have a policy of no controversial t-shirts, which I think is appropriate. 

Quoting MrsImperfect:

There's a man in my city having a fit right now because his daughter was sent home from school cause she had a Smith and Weston shirt on. He thinks it violates her freedom of speech.
Eta; it had pictures of guns on it

Quoting PamR:

I am not an NRA supporter, but it doesn't offend me.  I don't think it's appropriate for school, though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN