Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Homophobia Is A Sin; National Cathedral Dean Speaks Out

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

Do you agree with him?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/07/gary-hall-national-cathedral-homobia-is-a-sin_n_4057614.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Gary Hall Says Homophobia Is A Sin; National Cathedral Dean Speaks Out During LGTB Weekend Of Honor

gary hall homophobia sin

The Dean of Washington's National Cathedral, Rev. Gary Hall, came out in no uncertain terms this weekend to denounce LGTB discrimination in his Sunday sermon.

"We must now have the courage to take the final step and call homophobia and heterosexism what they are. They are sin. Homophobia is a sin.Heterosexism is a sin. Shaming people for whom they love is a sin,"said Dean Hall. He continued, "Only when all our churches say that clearly and boldly and courageously will our LGBT youth be free to grow up in a culture that totally embraces them fully as they are."

He criticized the role that some churches have in advancing oppression of LGTB youth, saying, "It’s more than tragic—in fact it’s shameful--that faith communities, especially Christian ones, continue to be complicit in putting our children at risk and abetting the attitudes that oppress them, thereby encouraging the aggressors who would subject our children to pain, humiliation, and violence."

His remarks were given as part of a weekend which honored LGTB young people at National Cathedral and commemorated the 15th anniversary of the tragic death of Matthew Shepard, a young man murdered in an anti-gay hate crime. The Sunday Forum discussion included Judy Shepard, Matt Shepard's mother; Jane Clementi, the mother of Tyler Clementi, a young man who died of suicide after being cyber bullied; and LGBT youth advocate Joshua Deese of the Trevor Project.

Hall announced earlier this year that National Cathedral would begin celebrating same-sex marriages.

"It is not only just OK to be gay, straight, bisexual, or transgendered. It is good to be that way, because that is the way God has made you," he said.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
parentalrights1
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:24 PM
I don't think it's wrong to be gay at all. I do get that certain religions disagree with homosexuality and I wonder how he got so extremely accepting as he is while still maintaining his religious beliefs.

But he's right. Hating and shaming gays the way people do is unnecessary no matter what your religious beliefs and it does provide justification to those who bully and hurt gays. Even if you mean well, by calling them an abomination or saying they are bad, it registers with the kids that they are monsters and disgusting
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I don't know anyone who "fears" homosexuality, and that is what the word homophobia means. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:42 AM

The people who protest and work against it the hardest usually are covering up a fear of being homosexual themselves!

Quoting TranquilMind:

I don't know anyone who "fears" homosexuality, and that is what the word homophobia means. 

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I don't believe in sin.   I think homophobia is morally wrong.  

I don't believe in a god, but I like this guy's understanding of god better than those who understand god as creating gay people but condemning them if they want to find a gay partner.  

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:58 AM

While I agree with most of what he says, I'm not sure I can get on board with calling it a sin.  

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Yes, I agree with him. It's hate, though, not fear, that drives people to have these opinions of those who are different. 

Aslen
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM
I love being Episcopalian.... We rock! Most Episcopal priests share his view. Hell the Episcopal church has openly gay priests and bishops too!

We are probably the most GLBT friendly denomination there is!
12hellokitty
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:21 AM
So if he thinks homophobia is a sin, does it make it okay for him to shame people engaging in homophobia? In other words does he support shaming people in their sin? He doesn't sound to welcoming. If sin is sin, then isn't he supposed to be welcoming to homophobes?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN