Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teaching Common Sense & Safety to Kids

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM
  • 40 Replies
2 moms liked this

THIS is how it was done before helicopter parenting took over. How would you feel if your kid brought this booklet home from school TODAY?

Creepy and Violent 1950′s Kids Safety Manual

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Ok, I'll bite.
This is what I did with my kids.
SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Sage advice, all of it! lol

sweetaspie630
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM

um okay.

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

It's way more effective than simply, "Because I said so." LOL

wink

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it. Where vehicles are concerned, I went a step further. I found a bug on the sidewalk, made sure the kids saw it and then stepped on it, removed my foot and made sure they saw the squashed bug. Then I told them, "that's what will happen to you if you don't watch out for cars and I don't like squashed kids"
krysstizzle
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Bwa! I glanced at the first one and thought it was a picture of a bloodied and squished corpse. Eeek! lol

But yeah, I never hid from my kids what can happen if they run out in a road or don't pay attention. I seem to have struck a balance between them being careful but not paralyzed with fear. :)

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:12 AM
2 moms liked this

Okay.  I laughed.  It's kind of morbid they way they worded things, but it's better than just letting them run loose.  LOL!

supercarp
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM

It's all true. You can no longer get trapped in a refrigerator, but there are still old ones around. My parents had a friend who lost an arm as a boy by getting it caught in the spokes of some vehicle. Kids aren't born knowing what is dangerous. We need to teach them. Most parents don't bother.

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I teach these things.  When we had an episoode with matches I actually googled burn victims and showed them exactly what fire does to people.  They have never touched matches or lighters again. 

When they gave me issues cleaning I made them watch hoarders.

I have showed them the danger in all of these things I think.  (Grandchildren I am referring too, google didnt exist when my kids were little but I could have used it lol.

I have used google image search in teaching a lot of lessons.  When having a discussion on monsters and if monsters were real I showed them Ted Bundy and told them real monsters were even scarier because they blend in. This was just the other day.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Hahahaha. Awesome! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)