Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teaching Common Sense & Safety to Kids

Posted by   + Show Post

THIS is how it was done before helicopter parenting took over. How would you feel if your kid brought this booklet home from school TODAY?

Creepy and Violent 1950′s Kids Safety Manual

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Replies (31-40):
andiemomo3
by Andie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I've always used the cause and effect approach.  "If you do --------, such and such will/can happen".  This applies to good and/or scary unsafe things.if they ask a question about "what if ......" Then I am honest with them. I try to be as open and honest as possible.  I have no problem letting my kiddos know there is bad and awful out there.  However, I make sure they know that wonderful and amazing is out there far more often.  The world is an uncertain place that we can easily enjoy safely and happily.

andiemomo3
by Andie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Oh, and it wouldn't be an issue if they brought this home.  Young adult/teen fiction is far more horrible.  Hunger Games anyone?

MissTacoBell
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:48 PM
Omg lol
JMmama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Winning. I do the same thing. I love this manual.

Quoting survivorinohio:

I teach these things.  When we had an episoode with matches I actually googled burn victims and showed them exactly what fire does to people.  They have never touched matches or lighters again. 

When they gave me issues cleaning I made them watch hoarders.

I have showed them the danger in all of these things I think.  (Grandchildren I am referring too, google didnt exist when my kids were little but I could have used it lol.

I have used google image search in teaching a lot of lessons.  When having a discussion on monsters and if monsters were real I showed them Ted Bundy and told them real monsters were even scarier because they blend in. This was just the other day.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:54 PM
1 mom liked this

LoL- many parents would need to read the "common sense" book first. I remember when my oldest brother got hit by a car [he was fine] and my parents smacked him upside the head for unsafely crossing the road -the 60s parents were anything but soft-

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I do this too. My son is really had about running around parking lots so I googled pictures of car accident and burn victims. When he didn't want to brush his teeth I got out my dental textbooks and showed him calculus build up and method mouth lol. The other day he kept taking off in the grocery store (he thinks he is invincible because he does karate) so I found stories about people who kidnapped, tortured, and killed children. I've done the Hoarders thing too... "if we don't clean our house will look like that!"

Quoting survivorinohio:

I teach these things.  When we had an episoode with matches I actually googled burn victims and showed them exactly what fire does to people.  They have never touched matches or lighters again. 

I have showed them the danger in all of these things I think.  (Grandchildren I am referring too, google didnt exist when my kids were little but I could have used it lol.

I have used google image search in teaching a lot of lessons.  When having a discussion on monsters and if monsters were real I showed them Ted Bundy and told them real monsters were even scarier because they blend in. This was just the other day.

JackandJayne
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this

That's about how I've taught my kids so far. "You wanna crack your head open or lose a leg? Go ahead." If i had images to accompany my statements at the time, I probably would have used them. 100% success rate so far. That's my plan with STDs and STIs when they become teens : ) The possibilities are endless when you present your kids with FACTS. 

JackandJayne
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Lolol this makes me laugh because I do it too. Their bedroom gets messy or if I see they've left wrappers out or something, I take it to the extreme. "You ever walked into someone's house and it smells like pee and rotten garbage? Well you're on your way to becoming those people." And same with the kidnapping. Some big burly cracked out guy played along one day and leaned down in the grocery store and told them he'd love to take them away. They NEVER run around now in the store. I just keep telling them, it's my job to prepare them for the real world. Children are little barbarians waiting to be civilized.  

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I do this too. My son is really had about running around parking lots so I googled pictures of car accident and burn victims. When he didn't want to brush his teeth I got out my dental textbooks and showed him calculus build up and method mouth lol. The other day he kept taking off in the grocery store (he thinks he is invincible because he does karate) so I found stories about people who kidnapped, tortured, and killed children. I've done the Hoarders thing too... "if we don't clean our house will look like that!"

Quoting survivorinohio:

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:11 AM
1 mom liked this

My "Scared Straight" movie was the one about the guy overdosing on drugs on the toilet....that shit kept me from ever even trying POT!

Quoting cjsbmom:

Um, this is pretty similar to what we got when I was in elementary school eons ago. In fact, we also watched a pretty traumatizing bus safety video in which several kids got run over by the bus for doing various things that are a bus safety violation. That one scarred me for life. 

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

nichole_erin
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Seems legit.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN