Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Increase in Unemployment Claims as a result of furloughs

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:46 AM
  • 75 Replies
http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/10/government-shutdown-2013-furloughed-workers-file-10-000-unemployment-requests-94994.html

October 7 - WJLA
WASHINGTON (AP) - Furloughed federal government workers have filed more than 10,000 claims for unemployment benefits in the District of Columbia as the government shutdown has persisted nearly a week.

D.C. Department of Employment Services spokeswoman Najla Haywood says the claims filed by Monday represent a major increase. Under the district's recent unemployment rate, the agency usually receives 600 unemployment claims per week.

In Maryland, more than 16,000 federal unemployment claims were filed by Sunday. That's about four times the number of claims from federal workers in an entire year. The first checks are being sent this week.

Congress has begun considering retroactive pay for federal workers when the government reopens. If workers receive retroactive pay, they will have to pay back any unemployment benefits.

Virginia did not provide an update on claims.
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:10 AM
5 moms liked this

And how much do you want to bet that when this is all over, and the next jobs report comes out with these higher numbers, the Repubs are going to use them to say that Obama can't lead the country out of financial ruin? Mark my words. I can see it happening, because they never take credit for the messes they cause. 

Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM
1 mom liked this

At this point people have bills to pay and not every company is taking the govt employee shut down letter. Right now they are saying I don't care give me my damn money and in this capitalistic company people don't care your not getting paid. They want their money and seeing how people feel about foodstamps already tells you there are people who rather get the unemployment and struggle with that instead. In the end this is screwing the american people.

Comapnies are doing a lot of this to their customers who have no money

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:06 AM
3 moms liked this

All these claims should be permanent.  They show government waste.

punky3175
by Punky on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Please explain. I want to make sure I understand what you're saying.

Quoting Carpy:

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM
How many days has it been? I am not trying to sound insensitive.....but doesn't it take a good month or more to receive those benefits? I would hope they will soon be back.
punky3175
by Punky on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM
It's been a week. As the article states - that's all it takes. Those furloughed should start receiving benefits within the next week or two.

Quoting iamcafemom83:

How many days has it been? I am not trying to sound insensitive.....but doesn't it take a good month or more to receive those benefits? I would hope they will soon be back.
iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Hmmm I don't envy those in this place right now. It would konda stink to have to go to that trouble, be back at work when the benefits kick in and then have to oay it all back. What a mess.

Quoting punky3175:

It's been a week. As the article states - that's all it takes. Those furloughed should start receiving benefits within the next week or two.

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM
2 moms liked this

It means the government is to big.  These people should find private sector jobs where they have value.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Carpy:

Minnow Slayer

punky3175
by Punky on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM
Yep. :-)

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Hmmm I don't envy those in this place right now. It would konda stink to have to go to that trouble, be back at work when the benefits kick in and then have to oay it all back. What a mess.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting iamcafemom83:

punky3175
by Punky on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:39 AM
3 moms liked this

So I should lose my job and give up my sense of service to the country.  Got it.  (My sense of service is why I served in the military and sought my federal government job that I'm no longer allowed to do.) Also, if I were to get a job in the private sector - I'd be in the exact same position.  My profession is highly dependent on government contracts.  Those contractors are more highly compensated than their federal employee equivalents.  Government is paying for those contractors through contracts.

While I agree that the government is too big, I don't think firing 800,000 people is the way to do it.  Allow natural attrition to happen, don't backfill those positions and do away with redundant agencies.  DHS springs to mind.  Do away with that agency and put those employees back in their original "parent" agencies.

Quoting Carpy:

It means the government is to big.  These people should find private sector jobs where they have value.

Quoting punky3175:

Quoting Carpy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)