Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandpa, School & Doctor Mix Up One Child With Another & No One Notices?!

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
  • 33 Replies

Grandpa, School & Doctor Mix Up One Child With Another & No One Notices?!

by Adriana Velez

grandchildSo the other day when I went to pick up my son from the bus stop, lo and behold, he did not get off the bus. I called the school right away and found out that he was still there and had not been kidnapped by the circus (phew), but thanks to this misunderstanding, I now had to go and pick him up. That was a little stressful, but after reading this story,  it's quite clear how minor this little incident was. Here is a grandfather who picked up the wrong little girl from school, took her to the doctor, and sent her home with medication. THE WRONG KID ALL THE WAY.

How many childcare fails do you need for this to happen? It's like none of the adults in this story had ever laid eyes on the child.

1. Grandpa picks up the wrong kid. Scary, but understandable. Perhaps he has dementia or is going blind. Maybe he's hiding his degenerative state, or maybe the girl's parents know but are desperate for childcare.

2. School administrators/teachers let her go. Okay, to be fair, the two girls had the same name and were in the same grade. But still, if you're excusing a kid from your class to go off with another adult, don't you think it would behoove you to make sure you're not sending off the wrong Sally?

3. The doctor treated the wrong kid. Does your child's pediatrician recognize your child? My doctor's practice is large, and we only go for checkups once a year. I don't think our pediatrician would recognize my son. Still, this little girl was handed medication (I don't think she'd actually taken it). How did that even happen? Were the meds based on her exam -- the exam of an otherwise perfectly well child? WTF?

So imagine what happens when this little girl comes home and informs her parents that some old guy picked her up, took her to a doctor, and gave her this medicine here in this bag. You would freak the eff out, right? The girl's father said:

I went ballistic. I was boiling inside. The first thing I thought was the worst. I had to ask my daughter the sort of questions no parent ever wants to ask: 'Did he do this, did he do that?'

Ugh, I can just imagine. What a mess. At least she hadn't actually taken the meds yet.

Anyway, maybe this is a good time for all to re-think our safety measures. Is there more than one kid with your child's name in the classroom? Who do you talk to when your child has a doctor's appointment? Have you had that important conversation with your child -- the one that goes something like, "If a strange old man says he's supposed to take you to the doctor, please, say NO"? This poor little girl must have had one terribly confusing day.

Can you imagine this ever happening to your child?

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

this freaked me out.  how can a grandpa not hotice and more importantly, why didn't the 2nd grader say she didn't know the man, she just let him take her to the doctor.  my dd would be very loud

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I can see my dad doing something like this if my son wasn't the only white kid at his school. Oy. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

Right? Mine too LOL

Quoting mehamil1

I can see my dad doing something like this if my son wasn't the only white kid at his school. Oy. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM

OMG! The stupidity!

surprised

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Why didn't the little girl say something?

iamcafemom83
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
That is something you don't see everyday. ....how could granpa not recognize his granddaughter?? And also, I am with ya on the doctor's exam---why was the medicine prescribed? Based on her exam or what??

As for the checking out part....I could see how this might happen. But why didn't the girl speak up?:( she must have been very confused!!
sweetaspie630
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I was wondering the same thing. My six year old would be shouting "Stranger Danger!"

Quoting paganbaby:

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

No.  Just no.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Same here! My 6yo dd would be flippin biscuits if some strage man tried to pick her up.

Quoting sweetaspie630:

I was wondering the same thing. My six year old would be shouting "Stranger Danger!"

Quoting paganbaby:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Once when my oldest dd was in preschool, a teacher tried to give me the wrong child to take home. Not only was she not my daughter, she wasn't even the right color,lol! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured