Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How would I find out about an artist when I cant read his signature? Pic added

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
  • 16 Replies

?  I have a bust I would like to identify the artist of.

Anybody have any ideas?

**EDIT* I chalked the signature and it looks like it says P Lamphenes.   All I have is my phone so quality isnt great but heres the pic

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Joyzap2003
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:42 AM

Take it to an art gallery or museum someone there might be able to tell you who the artist is. 

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:13 AM

The subject the style and signature register (dont know if they have one, but they must have a artist reference list somewhere?)

Good luck

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:14 AM
1 mom liked this

ooh I think NWP has something to do with the art world :-)

stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Take a picture of it and post it

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

I bet NWP could steer you in the right direction.  

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I added a pic so bump

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Another bump :)

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

BUMP!

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Survivor, this could be interesting....I can't really tell over the internet and I am no appraisor. You have three options:

1. Private gallery.  Gallery owners and antique shop owners are ALWAYS willing to give you a free assessment. They have a horse in this game. LOL. You would need to do your research and know you can trust the person giving you the assessment to be both knowledgeable and ethical. The problem with going to private galleries is that you run two risks....one is the range of knowledge levels, from terrible to good, of the owners of the gallery....the second is the risk of them ripping you off if it is something valuable. Some places will do this, tell you its worth $250 and they will buy it from you for $200, when its actually worth much more. 

2. Museum curator: You need to take this into a museum that specializes in American art or has a good American or Regional art collection. Call ahead to see if their curator will take a look. Some are happy to do so, others not so much. Ask to speak to someone in the curatorial or restoration department when you call because the person answering the phone might not know what they are talking about.

3. Private Appraiser. These folks are around and if they are licensed, are highly trained and good at their jobs. However, you will have to pay for their services.

Oh...and I forgot about the 4th option....wait until Antiques Roadshow comes to your area. Seriously, those guys are some of the best curators in their fields in the country. I know the guy who does the Central American paintings personally. He's a curator for Sotheby's in NYC.

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you very much :)  I dont want to sell it, I want it to be identified so if it has to be sold later the kids dont get ripped off.  We have a local art museum so I will call them.  I also never thought of it but I had a professor at Akron U that may be able to help.

Thank you again)

Quoting NWP:

Survivor, this could be interesting....I can't really tell over the internet and I am no appraisor. You have three options:

1. Private gallery.  Gallery owners and antique shop owners are ALWAYS willing to give you a free assessment. They have a horse in this game. LOL. You would need to do your research and know you can trust the person giving you the assessment to be both knowledgeable and ethical. The problem with going to private galleries is that you run two risks....one is the range of knowledge levels, from terrible to good, of the owners of the gallery....the second is the risk of them ripping you off if it is something valuable. Some places will do this, tell you its worth $250 and they will buy it from you for $200, when its actually worth much more. 

2. Museum curator: You need to take this into a museum that specializes in American art or has a good American or Regional art collection. Call ahead to see if their curator will take a look. Some are happy to do so, others not so much. Ask to speak to someone in the curatorial or restoration department when you call because the person answering the phone might not know what they are talking about.

3. Private Appraiser. These folks are around and if they are licensed, are highly trained and good at their jobs. However, you will have to pay for their services.

Oh...and I forgot about the 4th option....wait until Antiques Roadshow comes to your area. Seriously, those guys are some of the best curators in their fields in the country. I know the guy who does the Central American paintings personally. He's a curator for Sotheby's in NYC.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN