Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Yes, The GOP Is Losing The Shutdown Fight

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM
  • 11 Replies

An ABC News/Washington Post poll on Monday showed 51 percent of the public disapproving of Obama's handling of the budget talks and 61 percent disapproving of congressional Democrats -- amounting to upticks of one and five points respectively since last week. But approval of Obama's handling actually rose four points to 45 percent, while approval of congressional Democrats remained virtually unchanged at 35 percent.

Disapproval of congressional Republicans, meanwhile, jumped from 63 percent in ABC/WaPo's poll last week to 70 percent on Monday. There was little change in the GOP's approval numbers, dipping only two points in ABC/WaPo's polling to 24 percent in the last week.

According to Monday's CNN/ORC International poll, 63 percent said they are angry with the way Republicans have handled the shutdown, slightly more than the 57 percent who expressed anger at Democrats. Fifty-three percent said they are angry with the way Obama has handled the situation.

Those numbers could be seen as an extension of CNN/ORC's pre-shutdown polling, which found 46 percent of Americans saying they would blame Republicans on Capitol Hill for a shutdown compared with 36 percent who said they would fault Obama.

Pew Research Center also conducted polling ahead of the shutdown, finding two weeks ago that about as many Americans said they would blame Republicans as Obama. At that time, 36 percent said they would blame the Obama administration for such an outcome while 39 percent said they would blame the GOP.

Pew's release on Monday suggested that the public is now giving Obama a break: 30 percent said the administration is more to blame for the shutdown, while 38 percent said they blame Republicans.

Both sides have acknowledged the political implications of the shutdown. An unnamed White House official was quoted last week as saying that Obama's team is "winning," while Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) was recorded expressing similar confidence during a conversation with Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY).

Conservatives in both Congress and the media have also argued that they are on the right side of the issue. RedState.com editor Erick Erickson wrote Tuesday that polls showing "more Americans blame the GOP than Barack Obama" actually prove "the GOP is winning." Lawmakers like Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) have argued that the crusade to defund or delay the Affordable Care Act is an adherence to public will. It has become a sticking point for the most conservative wing of the GOP and it was the impetus for the shutdown.

But polls have contradicted that. Surveys last week from Quinnipiac University and CBS Newsboth showed more than 70 percent of Americans opposed to shutting down the government over differences related to the health care law.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CountryMomma123
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:50 AM

BUMP!

CountryMomma123
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM

BUMP!

CountryMomma123
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:11 AM

BUMP!

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Na na na na,

na na na na - hey hey na

G O O D   B Y E !  

ashellbell
by shellbark on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:19 AM
5 moms liked this
I hate that the media and cngress is looking at this in terms of "winners and losers". The only ones losing are us.
stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:16 AM

They aren't losing anything because there was nothing there in the first place. I hope I and some newspapers are wrong but it is now being suggested this is the way to find out what the public will do if there is no longer a debt ceiling. There is the strong possibility we reach the debt ceiling and burst right through it as if it doesn't exist. We don't default and the debt ceiling become another Maginot Line. Then who won or lost...the loss will not go to either side of Congress at that point. There is no hard brick wall; there are no set amount of dollars in hand that these people have to spend; there is only the number (which we breached before) and their concession to stay within it.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:06 AM
I see these polls as positive for the republicans. Even though Republicans are blamed more, they are not blamed that much more. And with all the media drums beating everyday that Obama is not at fault and Obamas Press conferences, I don't think those numbers are all that bad
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I have seen some of these polls.  A few hundred liberals aren't really a good measure.

The longer this goes on and the only sky falling is from the Obamacare website/stickershock the better their position gets.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM
The conservatives here are trying to spin these numbers to their liking.

You spin me right round baby, right round, like a record baby...
CountryMomma123
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:46 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)