Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Were Cops Wrong to Arrest Veterans for Violating Curfew at Vietnam War Memorial?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
  • 28 Replies

Cops Arrest Veterans Who Just Want This Country to Remember Why They Fought (VIDEO)

by Rebecca Stokes

veteransA group of veterans from the war in Vietnam were arrested in New York yesterday. Their crime? The cops would tell you it was a case of violating the 10 p.m. curfew at the New York Vietnam War Memorial. Police state the men ignored the repeated warnings that preceded their arrest.

But it's slightly more complex than that. The vets, who were arrested while reading out the names of their dead comrades, had arranged this vigil as part of a peaceful protest against the War in Afghanistan, now entering its 12th year. They did the same thing last year -- with similar results.

On the one hand, I understand where the police were coming from. Though ultimately, I think they were out of line. Obviously they were just eager to get these protesters out of the way and used the closing of the memorial as an excuse to arrest the men.

If the most harm the vets were doing was reading a list of people who died serving their country, arresting them seems excessive. Tensions had to have been running high for the police officers, who must have taken the protest against the war in Afghanistan as being un-American. But if the ones protesting are men who have also fought proudly for their country, shouldn't they be among the first we listen to when they speak out?

Do you think the cops were wrong to arrest the veterans?

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:29 AM
3 moms liked this

They broke the law and were warned to leave.  They didn't. 

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:45 PM

no.

People choose to get arrested in protest, they did.

As did others including Rep. Lewis who was protesting for immigration reform...

Why should they be treated any differently?

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:22 PM
No, I don't think they were wrong. If the vets wanted to stay past curfew, they should have gotten permits.
hnye77
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:50 PM

THey weren't out of line at all.  Vet or no Vet, the rules are the rules...

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

This is all so shameful....and should never have ever had to come to this.

X_Patriot_Mom_X
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing about it is...this isnt just anyones Memorial. This is a memorial that was given to the Veterans of Vietnam. The same way the WW2 memorial is for the WW2 veterans. If they are holding a vigil that is their right to a silent protest. People do them all the time. Its not like they were violently storming the streets. When are people going to learn to live and let live? Those men fought for this country in a war that really was the dumbest thing ever. They were disrespected when they came home from a war they lost friends/brothers/uncles/fathers in and now they are being disrespected again? Remember these are the men who fought for our country helping to preserve our freedoms of speech and rights to own guns and every other right you have according to the constitution and bill of rights. With out men like that we wouldnt have what we have. Just remember that...

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM
4 moms liked this

No. The cops were doing their job and the vets knew they'd get arrested for it. They chose to get arrested as part of their protest. I admire them for doing this. They are a feisty bunch of old farts. God bless them for standing up for their beliefs.   :) 

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM

How is this any different from any other group protesting getting arrested because they didn't have the proper permit?

pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Just follow the rules and you won't get arrested.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:56 PM
I see nothing wrong with silent protest and it said in the article they do it every year. Everyone says they could have gotten a permit if the memorial is already shut down the permit would have made no difference. I don't feel they should be arrested. In my own opinion Viet nam vets got treated the shittiest by the American people.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)