Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Halloween costumes for your daughter if you don't want a Disney Princess

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM
  • 44 Replies
1 mom liked this

Photographer and mother Jaime Moore searched high and low for creative inspiration to take photos of her 5-year-old daughter Emma but found most of the ideas were how to dress your little girl like a Disney princess. It got her thinking about some real women for her daughter to look up to, whether that be a pilot, a doctor, or even an astronaut.

Then she did what I can only describe as kick-ass. Below are the five inspirational women she dressed her daughter as. Then scroll down to see the bonus sixth photo because it made me smile so much.

Rossalyn  Warren
Rossalyn Warren More from Rossalyn »

Susan B. Anthony

Click image to Zoom

Coco Chanel

Click image to Zoom

Amelia Earhart

Click image to Zoom

Helen Keller

Click image to Zoom

Jane Goodall

Click image to Zoom

The photographer's daughter, Emma.

Click image to Zoom

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momniscient
by Obama licker on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM
5 moms liked this

Aw. Those are sweet.

I still don't see the problem with a 5 year old dressing up as a Disney Princess. That doesn't mean they won't grow up to be strong women.

Last year my two year old Princess went Disney. She was Captain Hook. It was adorable.

WesternNYmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Cute ideas.

mcginnisc
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:06 PM
2 moms liked this

While those are cute, I don't know any 5 year old girls that would be all " Whoo hoo!! Yes! I'm going to be Susan B. Anthony for Halloween...oh, and who is that again??" ...my 5 yr old dd wants to be Sofia the First and I'm okay with that. My oldest dd will be 8 in 3 weeks and she is going to be Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't either, but many moms do.

And frankly, I think Belle from "Beauty and the Beast" is not some weakling waiting for a man.  She is smart and feisty.

Quoting Momniscient:

Aw. Those are sweet.

I still don't see the problem with a 5 year old dressing up as a Disney Princess. That doesn't mean they won't grow up to be strong women.

Last year my two year old Princess went Disney. She was Captain Hook. It was adorable.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Neither of my daughters ever wanted to be a Disney princess.

Let's see....we had a dalmation puppy, one daughter was Queen Amidalah from Star Wars when she was 4, that same daughter in fourth grade was Phantom from Phantom of the Opera, the other daughter was enamored of the Genie from Alladin and chose to be him one year, one daughter was a nun (and collected for UNICEF that year lol), one year the older one was a gymnast, one year she was a doctor, one year she was a vampire, one year the younger one was a cat, one year a cheerleader....

No princesses at all.

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is Darth Vader.  He was storming up and down the stairs the other day doing the "Imperial March."

Nerd mom is so proud.  

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I know. And I don't really understand it. I am my kiddos mom. I grew up with Disney and I love it. I am very definitely a smart strong lady who can take care of herself... why would I be afraid of Disney princesses?

You're totally right. Belle is great, so is Merida and most all of the modern princesses. And the fact is that most people in the world will look for and find love--so why is it not ok for the Disney princesses to do so? Why is that 'teaching' a child something bad? I just don't get it lol

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I don't either, but many moms do.

And frankly, I think Belle from "Beauty and the Beast" is not some weakling waiting for a man.  She is smart and feisty.

Quoting Momniscient:

Aw. Those are sweet.

Momniscient
by Obama licker on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:11 PM

Mine adores Disney but she isn't the princess type either. Last year she was captain hook and this year she wants to be Izzy a pirate from Jake and the Neverland pirates.

Quoting romalove:

Neither of my daughters ever wanted to be a Disney princess.

Let's see....we had a dalmation puppy, one daughter was Queen Amidalah from Star Wars when she was 4, that same daughter in fourth grade was Phantom from Phantom of the Opera, the other daughter was enamored of the Genie from Alladin and chose to be him one year, one daughter was a nun (and collected for UNICEF that year lol), one year the older one was a gymnast, one year she was a doctor, one year she was a vampire, one year the younger one was a cat, one year a cheerleader....

No princesses at all.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:12 PM

This is a great post and SOOO TIMELY for me.

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to showing my 12 year old daughter this afternoon.

She said she might want to be wonder woman so I googled the image(s) and she took a closer look, the skimpyness, the boots, the strapless shiny top...and she shook her head and said, "um maybe not, eh mom?"

We laughed. Anyway, I LOVE this post and the entire semtiment behind it.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Oh, and yeah, when mine was five she was Ariel. Hated that fin dress too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)