Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeless man finds that karma does come back to you

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 54 Replies
4 moms liked this

Glen James was "shocked" that one simple good deed could completely change the course of his life, but he’s grateful that it has.

After discovering a bag in a Boston mall last month filled with a passport, $2,400 in cash and nearly $40,000 in traveler’s checks, the homeless man immediately turned the bag in to the police so that it could be returned to its rightful owner, the Boston Herald reported. James thought that was the end of the story, but it was just the beginning.

Boston police honored James with a special citation and then Ethan Whittington, a complete stranger in Midlothian, Va., was so moved by James’ story that he decided to set up an online fundraising campaign.

That fund has raised more than $150,000 as of press time.

On Thursday, Whittington and James met for the first time and each thanked the other for their selflessness and inspiration, TODAY reported.

In addition to the outpouring of funds, supporters are also working on helping James to get a new home near his sister, an incredible life overhaul he never saw coming.

“This is a total surprise and shock to me that it has gone this far,” he told TODAY.

Karma really is a wonderful thing, isn't it? Find out how you can help support James as he continues to turn his life around here.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:52 PM

God bless him!  He did the right thing. and now it is his turn to be `helped' himself.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I call it "sowing and reaping", not Karma...but yeah.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM

this is wonderful

..Kate..
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Ethan Whittington is the son of our very good friends.  :) 

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:29 PM

Karma and Reaping what you sow are basically the same thing.. yet another thing most religions have in common with each other..

Doesnt matter what you call it when you do the right thing even when times are hard good things will happen to you... I am glad..

JP-StrongForTwo
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:30 PM

That is amazing. he returned 40,000 (in TCs which he could have easily kept) 

and in return, ended up with 150k! 

God bless him! 

furbabymum
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Hmm. Odd. I mean it's nice that he turned it in and everything but I'm just skeptical about giving that much money and a home to someone who may make horrid decisions that have them end up homeless again. But then, I guess we should be optomistic in life.

PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:34 PM

Why do you think he would make bad decisions in his life and end up homeless again?

Quoting furbabymum:

Hmm. Odd. I mean it's nice that he turned it in and everything but I'm just skeptical about giving that much money and a home to someone who may make horrid decisions that have them end up homeless again. But then, I guess we should be optomistic in life.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

That's awesome. I hope he has someone to help him manage the money so that he is not left homeless again.

furbabymum
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Well, I'd like to be an optomist but in the end I guess I'm just realistic.

How did he end up homeless the first time?

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Why do you think he would make bad decisions in his life and end up homeless again?

Quoting furbabymum:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)