Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Owner Refuses To Remove Blackface Lynching Scene From Tenn. Corn Maze

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM
  • 201 Replies

Owner Refuses To Remove Blackface Lynching Scene From Tenn. Corn Maze

Share this with a friend

Follow us and never miss a story!

article image
By Sarah Rae Fruchtnicht, Wed, October 09, 2013

The owner of a corn maze in Tennessee refuses to remove a scene of a dummy with blackface hung by its neck from his Halloween attraction.

Visitors took pictures of what appears to be the lynching of African-American child in the Memphis-area maze and posted them to social media, causing uproar.

Mid-South Maze owner Chris Taylor said it's not a lynching, it's "a medieval scene."

"There's a little bit of black makeup on his face," Taylor said. "He sometimes wears a mask, but it's more camouflage."

Death by hanging was a common form of execution in medieval England, but the use of camouflage is unclear.

Taylor has operated the maze for 13 years. When KAIT-8 confronted him about the controversial scene, he said it was the first time he had heard a complaint about it.

"It's more of an interactive scene where, you see an executioner up there," Taylor said of the young man hired to "execute" the blackface dummy, "he's getting the crowd riled up and then he does a fake hanging. Yea, sometimes you get to jump back out there and scare them."

Timothy Moore, a visitor to the maze, told WMC-TV that the scene is offensive.

"I've had relatives that were lynched and my great grandmother was a slave," Moore said. "So, to see something that depicts slavery and not only slavery but the ugly side where lynches occurred, it was so insensitive to the African American community."

He compared the scene to minstrel shows from the Civil War era.

"The issue is you have a Caucasian man with a young boy, not even an African American boy, but a young boy with black face. [It's] almost like minstrel times just hanging from a noose. It's something that shouldn't be tolerated," Moore explained.

Taylor says he has no intention of changing the scene and says it was blown out of proportion by social media.

Moore says he hopes more people will complain so that the "interactive" exhibit is removed.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:55 PM
10 moms liked this

It is okay, it is Halloween.....isn't that what they said when it was done to Palin?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:59 PM
4 moms liked this

Is this his private property? If so, his right.

It's not something I would take my kids to see.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM

Yuck

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Hes hillbilly trash plain and simple.

Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Who is they?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

It is okay, it is Halloween.....isn't that what they said when it was done to Palin?

Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Its wrong but if its on private property nothing can be done.
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM

icky

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Who is they?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

There was a big discussion about it in Answers when it happened. My reply was meant for the OP. I am sure she remembers what I am talking about although it is rather inconvenient for her. FTR...I think both are tacky.
T-HoneyLuv
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:29 PM
Asshole.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM
6 moms liked this

i agree.
he can do what he wants.  it seems like nowadays if someone expresses something objectionable or controversial even on their own property or in their own provate space people feel the need to make them shut up.  thats a really dangerous trend to be setting.  i mean.. i am all for encouraging open mindedness and ENFORCING equality.. but this idea of "eeewww!  what s/he is is doing/saying is morally/ethically not in line with what the majority believe... we must SHUT IT DOWN...SILENCE him.. bring a lawsuit etc".. i dunno man.. kind of scary.   

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Is this his private property? If so, his right.

It's not something I would take my kids to see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN