Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

**BREAKING - Wheeling Federal Building Shooter Dead: Cops

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM
  • 10 Replies

Wheeling Federal Building Shooter Dead: Cops

WHEELING, W.Va. (AP) — The U.S. Marshals Service says a man with an assault-type rifle fired 15 to 20 shots at the federal courthouse in Wheeling. W.Va., before security officers returned fire, critically injuring the man.

UPDATE From The Huffington Post: The gunman has died at a local hospital, according to WV Metro News. He has been identified as a former Wheeling Police officer, according to the Wheeling News-Register.

Chief deputy Mike Claxton of the Marshals Service in northern West Virginia says one officer was hurt by shattered glass inside the courthouse during Wednesday's shooting but no other injuries were reported.

Claxton says the gunman was in a parking lot across from the courthouse downtown. He says officials are attempting to determine a motive.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:26 PM

WHEELING, W.Va. — A former Wheeling police officer reportedly fired up to 30 shots into the federal courthouse Wednesday afternoon before he was shot and killed by police.

A witness told MetroNews the gunman used a rifle, reloading at least once, as he fired at the federal building around 2:45 p.m.

No one inside the building was hurt. Authorities said the gunman, identified as Thomas Picard, died at a local hospital. U.S. attorney Bill Ihlenfeld said Picard was a former Wheeling police officer.

Ihlenfeld was in his office when the shooting occurred.

“We were all working and heard gunshots outside the building,” Ihlenfeld told Metronews. “Windows were struck. We have a plan within the office where everyone goes into a safe room away from the windows. We took those steps.”

Eyewitness Carla Daniels, who was working in an office nearby, said she heard 25 to 30 shots fired by the gunman.

“I saw a guy with a rifle and he was just pointing in toward the federal building and just shooting,” Daniels said. “After he fired so many shots, he reached down on the ground and he must have reloaded and he went back to shooting again.”

Police gave no word on a motive.

video

http://wvmetronews.com/2013/10/09/gunman-fires-on-federal-building-in-wheeling/

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I wonder what the story is behind this 'snap.'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Wth. It seems in these coming weeks we should expect a shooting a week on federal land
OHgirlinCA
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 5:54 PM

Oh dear...

***shakes head***

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Im sure there is a history there

Quoting rfurlongg:

caito
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:19 PM

Damn.

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Always is...

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Im sure there is a history there

Quoting rfurlongg:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Wow

jllcali
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I am glad no one died or was seriously injured.

I do find it odd a former police officer fired so many shots yet did not seem to hit anyone directly.
survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:03 PM

crazy times :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)