Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ewwww. Don't drink hot tea or coffee on planes anymore.....

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
  • 48 Replies

I usually drink hot tea. I won't anymore. Ick isn't strong enough of a word for this.

Warning: Read This Before Drinking Water on a Plane

airplaneHold the water, please! Next time you're on an airplane you might want opt for a bottled beverage. According to the New York Daily News, 12 percent percent of airplane water tested by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in 2012 contained coliform. While that particular kind of bacteria isn't known for making people sick, its presence typically indicates that more harmful bacteria are also floating nearby. Luckily most airlines use bottled water for the drink cart, but coffee and hot tea are often made with the water from the airplane's tank. The EPA launched a program to stop the bacteria problem in 2004, when it was found that 15 percent of planes (that's one in every 10) had bacteria-contaminated water. And since then the number has only dropped 3 percent. While all water has some bacteria in it and chances are most people won't get sick as a result of drinking from the airlplane tank, the EPA hopes to improve the number. "I would say that's still a high percentage. I think there is more that needs to be done. So we're expecting to see further improvement by all the airlines in the county," stated Bill Honker, deputy director of theWater Quality Protection Division, EPA Region 6.

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
punky3175
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I rarely fly and don't think I've ever has coffee or tea on a plane. And now I definitely won't. :-)
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:03 PM

I don't fly, but ew.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

I've never had coffee or tea on a flight which is surprising because I've flown many times and I drink both daily.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:19 PM

I always drink tomato juice when I fly.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM
Me too, or ginger ale.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I always drink tomato juice when I fly.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I buy dunkins before boarding
MissTacoBell
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM
4 moms liked this
15% is one in every 7 not one in every 10. Wtf?
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I usually order hot tea at some point, especially if we're flying to the ILs because it's 5 hours on a plane. But I'll never do it again. In fact, I just told DH if he sees me do it, to smack me upside the head and remind my why I'm not supposed to.

Lullababy
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:34 PM
I drink wine when I fly
ZombieMeat
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Thank Bob for booze.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)