Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think the Mormon Church will ever completely accept the gay community?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM
  • 30 Replies

Mom of Gay Mormon Teen Pushes Church to Accept Homosexuality

by Jenny Erikson

Are Mormons beginning to ease off of the anti-gay rhetoric? Their stance on homosexuality has certainly softened in recent years. It was only 2008 when the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints famously (or infamously, depending on whom you ask) spent millions campaigning for California’s Proposition 8, which defined marriage as between one man and one woman.

Wendy and Tom Montgomery were one of the thousands of LDS couples that walked door-to-door to campaign for Prop 8 at their church’s behest. But their opinion on homosexuality changed last year, when they learned that their 15-year-old son is gay.

Now Sister Montgomery is leading the charge in pushing the church to stop teaching that homosexuality is a sin.

Wowza. That could be quite the change-up for the Latter-day Saints, but is it an impossible task? I say no. They’ve already gone a long way in shifting their thinking about being gay. They no longer teach that being gay is a sin, only acting upon it is.

I know, I know, it sounds trifling, and really, do they expect their gay members to live a life of celibacy? Well at least there’s support for these individuals that chose to live such a life. There’s even an LGBT club at BYU!

Could this really be the beginning of LDS acceptance of gays?

It’s hard to imagine such a thing happening when kids like Jordan Montgomery are considering suicide over the “sin” of being gay, and his parents are kicked out of leadership positions in their ward for accepting and loving him as he is, but don’t write the idea off just yet.

It could be a long time coming, but it looks like the church might be laying the foundation for the eventual acceptance of openly gay members. Mormon theology practices something called "continuing revelation," which basically means that the head of the church (called the prophet or the president) communes with God to learn how the church should progress here on Earth.

In 1890, the prophet received revelation that polygamy should no longer be practiced, so it’s not too far-fetched to consider the possibility of a new revelation at some point in the future that would change the church’s stance on homosexuality.

Your guess is as good as mine as to if they’ll allow polygamy again.

Do you think the Mormon Church will ever completely accept the gay community?

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I don't think it will be any time soon. One day , probably. The Word says>>will Jesus find just one man still standing on Truth when He returns<< That says to me we will be fully embracing sin one day. I pray not I!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I hope they realize that Jesus felt the homosexuals were to die for too.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I think they will. I believe that within 10 years the whole issue will be old hat to most people.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 10, 2013 at 10:40 AM

no

purple_panda
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I think they will. I was raised Mormon and have Mormon friends. Many of my friends and family support gay marriage. My dad does and he's even on the high council in his stake in Utah.
StarLight23
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM

I'm a mormon myself and I accept people as they are. As Jesus demonstrated in the New Testament, he loves the sinner, but hates the sin.

I do find gay marriage a bit unorthodox.. but hey whatever works.. right?

lga1965
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know. What they say for the public and how they actually feel are two different things.

It could possibly take a threat from the government for them to change...remember how they were against blacks,wouldn't let them participate n the community of the church UNTIL the government threatened financial punishment?

They are a tight -knit and odd bunch. I have a bunch of relatives who live in Utah and are LDS. The things I know......

lga1965
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Quoting purple_panda:

I think they will. I was raised Mormon and have Mormon friends. Many of my friends and family support gay marriage. My dad does and he's even on the high council in his stake in Utah.

That is very encouraging ! :)

purple_panda
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Don't judge all Mormons based off Utah Mormons... The Utah ones are different.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't know. WHat the say for the public and how they actually feel are two different things.

It could possibly take a threat from the government for them to change...remember how they were against blacks,wouldn't let them participate n the community of the church UNTIL the government threatened financial punishment?

They are a tight -knit and odd bunch. I have a bunch of relatives who live in Utah and are LDS. The things I know......

lga1965
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Okay.

I just know what my brother and his family have told me and what is in the Book of Mormon , Joseph Smith and the plates,etc. They gave me the Book of Mormon, the Pearl of Great Price, other books ......and it just makes me wonder.......

Quoting purple_panda:

Don't judge all Mormons based off Utah Mormons... The Utah ones are different.

Quoting lga1965:

I don't know. WHat the say for the public and how they actually feel are two different things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN