Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Mental Health & the NFL

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 1 Replies

Just wanted to share this. My wife found it today. NFL player Brandon Marshall is wearing green cleats in honor of this being mental health awareness week. The NFL is going to fine him for not wearing pink cleats.

As Dr. Seuss fans know, even Sam I Am cracked in the end.

After first saying that he would be barred from the field if he tried to wear them, the NFL has backtracked, and now says it will allow Bears’ receiver Brandon Marshall to wear green cleatson Thursday. The league says it will fine him, however, for wearing the shoes — which Marshall says is to create awareness for mental health issues, this being Mental Health Awareness Week. Marshall himself has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder.

“I’m going to get fined and I’m going to match that, and we want to partner with a cancer-care [charity],” Marshall said. “We’re still working on the details to give, really give back to an organization that is doing work in the mental health area. [Also], the diagnosis of breast cancer can hit families hard. It affects all of us.”

The NFL initially refused Marshall’s request, saying that they can’t accommodate every cause. League of Denial, indeed. But after the publicity got out, the league revisited the issue, and compromised.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/nfl-gives-ok-for-brandon-marshalls-green-shoes-but-will-fine-him/

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
supercarp
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM

Wow, borderline personality disorder. That's major.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN