Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Air Conditioning Is ‘The Ugly Side’ Of Welfare

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM
  • 274 Replies

Fox News’ Elisabeth Hasselbeck: Air Conditioning Is ‘The Ugly Side’ Of Welfare

article image

Fox News host Elisabeth Hasselbeck said Thursday that air conditioning and television are the “ugly side” of welfare.

Hasselbeck cited a report form Fox business host John Stossel claiming that entitlements have created a culture of dependence and that the tax-payer is footing the bill while recipients live the good life.

“Do these folks really need to be on welfare?” Hasselbeck asked, playing Stossel’s street interviews with welfare recipients who claim they have air conditioner, television and even cable.

“You have a cell phone?” Stosell asked a man on the street.

“Yeah of course I do,” he responds.

Speaking with Stossel on “Fox & Friends” Thursday morning, Hasselbeck asked, “So is welfare creating more victims than its actually helping?”

Stossel claimed that welfare is a new idea and that private charities did it better than the government “because they knew who needs help and who needed a kick in the rear."

Stossel says since the war on poverty began in the 1960s, the rate has only gone up. He did not report how the growing population in America influenced those numbers.

He said he does enjoy the “free stuff” he’s gotten since President Barack Obama took office.

“I mean, I’m getting Medicare now, that feels like free stuff,” he said.

“Way to go! You earned it though,” said co-host Steve Doocy.

Hasselbeck claimed people can earn more money in some states being on welfare than they can working a minimum wage job.

“The motivation to go get a job is almost non-existent in 35 states,” Hasselbeck said.

Since the government shutdown began, Stossel was quoted as boldly claiming that “the Earth won’t notice the difference if you shut the EPA for ten years.”

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:14 PM
12 moms liked this

She is a complete moron.

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:15 PM
18 moms liked this
Funny, there are studies that have found we're actually WINNING the war on poverty, slowly but surely, with welfare programs.

There have always been and always will be poor people. The only difference it would make to shut down welfare programs is we would see atrocities we haven't seen for decades: young mothers and children in rags and scraps of clothing on the roadside, begging for food; more and more people dying of hunger; a greater gap between middle and lower classes; etc.

These people must not live in states that get rather warm in the summer. Every year we have too many people of all ages (but especially senior citizens) that die of the heat. Almost without fail, there's an immediate reactionary influx of window unit donations that eventually taper off.

But nooooo. A/c units are a luxury, and only rich people are allowed those. Those dirty beggars can just fan themselves to death like they're supposed to.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM
7 moms liked this

She has some amazing cleavage in that dress though!

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

She is a complete moron.

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:20 PM
7 moms liked this

Lol...yes, she does.  Just wish her brain and character was as amazing.

Quoting furbabymum:

She has some amazing cleavage in that dress though!

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

She is a complete moron.

ramita
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:23 PM
I wonder if they realize most rentals have some type of ACs, at least here in the south. Although it does suck that people have cable or other tv when they're on welfare whereas all I got is regular free tv because I can't afford $30 more a month to come out. Oh well at least I know my kiddos aren't stuck in front of the tv all the time. Hopefully I'll find a job soon so we can have extra income even if we decide not to get cable.
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM
4 moms liked this

This is EXACTLY my argument for people against welfare.  All the charities in the country could not begin to support all the poor Americans.  I really don't think conservatives would like it very much to have "street rats" taking over their cities and making their children beg for money like in Tijuana or something. 

Quoting slashteddy:

There have always been and always will be poor people. The only difference it would make to shut down welfare programs is we would see atrocities we haven't seen for decades: young mothers and children in rags and scraps of clothing on the roadside, begging for food; more and more people dying of hunger; a greater gap between middle and lower classes; etc.

redheadstar
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I stopped watching Fox News years ago and now more of a reason not too.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM
5 moms liked this

But those street rats can just go to church where the church folk will care for them with the 10% tithing that they give, which 100% counts as gifts to charity, but also goes to pay for the air conditioning in the church.

It is a charitable contribution to share the church air conditioning with the poor.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

This is EXACTLY my argument for people against welfare.  All the charities in the country could not begin to support all the poor Americans.  I really don't think conservatives would like it very much to have "street rats" taking over their cities and making their children beg for money like in Tijuana or something. 

Quoting slashteddy:

National Woman's Party

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:46 PM
7 moms liked this
Are you kidding? This is why Christians can't "afford" to feed the poor like Jesus commanded them to. They gotta keep their pews pretty and their parking lot fund in tip top shape, don't ya know. We can't use our tithes and our donations to take care of people when we have a beautiful building to maintain. It's only Christian.

Quoting NWP:

But those street rats can just go to church where the church folk will care for them with the 10% tithing that they give, which 100% counts as gifts to charity, but also goes to pay for the air conditioning in the church.

It is a charitable contribution to share the church air conditioning with the poor.

Quoting SunshneDaydream:

Quoting slashteddy:

nichole_erin
by Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM
4 moms liked this
I'm sorry, I tried to read that, but all I took away from it was boobs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured