Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you feel about religious/nationality costumes?

Posted by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 53 Replies

I have some very pretty things from other countries that I have worn for Halloween before. I was listening to the radio and they had people calling in talking about how offensive they found these types of costumes. What is your opinion?

Just as an FYI the kimono/yukata came from Japan when we lived there and I think it's beautiful.

The arab outfits came from Qutur when my DH was deployed there. What I'm wearing has really detailed jeweled butterflies on it, I think it's beautiful. I was recovering from an illness that Halloween so I liked that I could wear pants and a turtleneck.

^ All the better yukata pics had me with a friend and her baby and I didn't want to disrespect their privacy by posting any of those so sorry for this crappy pic.

by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SyllabaryBisque
by Bronze Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant and want to be a nun for Halloween. Does that count? ;)

Vintagefan
by New Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I'm going as a pregnant nun. But do feel a bit bad about it.  But I'm spiritual, not religious. 

stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I think they are beautiful. My cousins wife often dresses in traditional Japanese clothing. He is so proud of her and it really is beautiful. (She is from Japan)

All Halloween costumes could be offensive to someone. They are not personally offensive to me, not even the ones made by playboy.

furbabymum
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:05 PM
2 moms liked this

I have a stunning kimono I wore the year I was pregnant with DS. I didn't look so fat in it. No pictures though. :(

I never thought I was being offensive, just using an excuse to wear pretty clothes. :)

Quoting stormcris:

I think they are beautiful. My cousins wife often dresses in traditional Japanese clothing. He is so proud of her and it really is beautiful. (She is from Japan)

OHgirlinCA
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I can't recall ever being offended by someone's Halloween costume. 

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:08 PM

I can get not having them in school setting or a business setting.

But just at a party?   Not my issue

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Certainly people can choose costumes in the hopes of offending someone else, and some people can be offended by just about anything.  I've never seen a Halloween costume yet that offended me.  

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Does not really bother me.

furbabymum
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM

A lot of people calling in said they thought it was disrespectful to be wearing that kind of thing on Halloween.

Quoting OHgirlinCA:

I can't recall ever being offended by someone's Halloween costume. 

furbabymum
by on Oct. 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Do you feel like it's offensive to wear regular clothes for one nation as a costume in ours?

Quoting momtoscott:

Certainly people can choose costumes in the hopes of offending someone else, and some people can be offended by just about anything.  I've never seen a Halloween costume yet that offended me.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN