Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Government Shutdown Leaves Some Moms Without Baby Formula

Posted by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM
  • 197 Replies

Government Shutdown Leaves Some Moms Without Baby Formula

by Jenny Erikson

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has stopped issuing vouchers for baby formula to families that rely on government assistance. The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children has been drastically cut due to the government shutdown.

About 80 percent of the state’s WIC recipients had already received their vouchers and can redeem them through the end of the month, but moms like Chelsea Combs look to be out of luck. She hadn’t picked up her vouchers yet and now doesn’t know how she’s going to feed her baby past the two cans of formula she has in her cupboard at home.

Combs says she and her husband, a full-time worker for a builder supply company, will “eat more Ramen noodles or reach out to a private charity for help if the shutdown continues.” The 21-year-old nursing student says, "People who really do need help are getting it taken away because Congress can't come to an agreement."

When she posted about her plight on Facebook, someone responded that she should have gotten an abortion.

That person is an idiot and clearly doesn’t understand what parents will do to take care of their children. It absolutely sucks that the government has taken away the assistance that so many people have come to rely on, but I doubt any of them are wishing they’d had abortions instead of babies.

Just look at this mama who has already declared that she and her husband will do without to make sure their child is fed. When you’re a mom, Ramen noodles can be delicious if it means your baby isn’t going to starve today. You don’t even think about it -- you do what needs to be done.

If this government shutdown continues much longer, there are other resources available to people that need some help, and there’s no shame in it. Feeding America has several food banks all across North Carolina, and I’m sure countless local churches and charities have programs to help young families.

Moms are amazing, and you can be sure that if the government takes away formula for our babies, we’re going to find a way to feed them until the politicians can get their panties unbunched and make sure WIC is funded.

What would you be willing to sacrifice to keep your baby fed?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this

There was a mom in MC who offered anyone who needed to PM her for a gift card to get formula.  

Cafe Steph
by Head Admin on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Wow, that's great! Hopefully she's legit and anyone who really needs help will reach out.

Quoting romalove:

There was a mom in MC who offered anyone who needed to PM her for a gift card to get formula.  

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Wow, that's great! Hopefully she's legit and anyone who really needs help will reach out.

Quoting romalove:

She is a long time member under her own screen name.  I think she is.  I admired her greatly for it!

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:26 AM

So so sad and I am so so thankful that I am no longer in this position. 

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:27 AM
I think it is mommycouture
Quoting romalove:

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Quoting romalove:

She is a long time member under her own screen name.  I think she is.  I admired her greatly for it!

Alayna - Wife to Sanjay and mommy to Anjali

acrogodess
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM
I sign up for samples all the time. I have two cans of similac to donate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aslen
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:30 AM
5 moms liked this

They can go to foodbanks, or shelters, or other places the get formula.

OR... and this is a novel idea.... they could have breastfed and they'd NEVER be in that situation to begin with!

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Quoting LaughCryLive:

I think it is mommycouture
Quoting romalove:

Quoting Cafe Steph:

Quoting romalove:

Maybe more than one is doing it, then.  That name isn't who it was.  I'll go check lol.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:32 AM
9 moms liked this

Sorry, but this is why people shouldn't be having kids they can't afford.  I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would reproduce without a way to feed them first.

Every Catholic Church I have ever gone to will give formula and diapers...to anyone.  All you have to do is ask.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)