Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Government Shutdown Leaves Some Moms Without Baby Formula

Posted by   + Show Post

Government Shutdown Leaves Some Moms Without Baby Formula

by Jenny Erikson

The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has stopped issuing vouchers for baby formula to families that rely on government assistance. The Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants, and Children has been drastically cut due to the government shutdown.

About 80 percent of the state’s WIC recipients had already received their vouchers and can redeem them through the end of the month, but moms like Chelsea Combs look to be out of luck. She hadn’t picked up her vouchers yet and now doesn’t know how she’s going to feed her baby past the two cans of formula she has in her cupboard at home.

Combs says she and her husband, a full-time worker for a builder supply company, will “eat more Ramen noodles or reach out to a private charity for help if the shutdown continues.” The 21-year-old nursing student says, "People who really do need help are getting it taken away because Congress can't come to an agreement."

When she posted about her plight on Facebook, someone responded that she should have gotten an abortion.

That person is an idiot and clearly doesn’t understand what parents will do to take care of their children. It absolutely sucks that the government has taken away the assistance that so many people have come to rely on, but I doubt any of them are wishing they’d had abortions instead of babies.

Just look at this mama who has already declared that she and her husband will do without to make sure their child is fed. When you’re a mom, Ramen noodles can be delicious if it means your baby isn’t going to starve today. You don’t even think about it -- you do what needs to be done.

If this government shutdown continues much longer, there are other resources available to people that need some help, and there’s no shame in it. Feeding America has several food banks all across North Carolina, and I’m sure countless local churches and charities have programs to help young families.

Moms are amazing, and you can be sure that if the government takes away formula for our babies, we’re going to find a way to feed them until the politicians can get their panties unbunched and make sure WIC is funded.

What would you be willing to sacrifice to keep your baby fed?

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Replies (191-197):
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Quoting Della529:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Della529:

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting Della529:

And praytell, where exactly does Catholic Charities obtain most of it's funding?  The US TAXPAYER, ya think?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting LIMom1105:

So your answer is to starve babies because their parents aren't perfect or have a perfect situation?

you can preach all you want about responsibility, but some babies will need help regardless. I do not think our country should starve helpless infants to prove a point about the parents, or to save money. Not a good place to cut.

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Sorry, but this is why people shouldn't be having kids they can't afford.  I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would reproduce without a way to feed them first.

Every Catholic Church I have ever gone to will give formula and diapers...to anyone.  All you have to do is ask.

Yes, that is exactly what I said.....

I didn't say anything about Catholic Charities.  I said Catholic CHURCH.  The monies funding this do not come from the taxpayer.  They come from donations. 

Our church has given out more than $50,000 this year in just rent/utility payments.  All of these funds came from parishoner donations.

The point is: Before you get so up in arms over your taxes going to the poor, remember that those same taxes are issued to religious organizations, under the Faith Based Initiative to the tune of almost THREE BILLION DOLLARS to Catholic Charities alone in 2010, in order to help those same poor.

Funding through the federal government brings in much, much more than that and without it $50K would be a pittance over a 10 month period.  $5K a month doesn't go very far in paying rent/utility payments.

For what it's worth, that is one thing about Catholicism - its care for the poor - that I adore and am most happy.

Why are you are trying to add something to my answer that is not there?  I didn't say a thing about taxes.

Since you insist on bringing them up; I would rather my tax dollars go to my local church for distribution.  I know they are giving money to those really in need.

The Catholic Church despite her problems has a long an rich history of taking care of the poor.  Most of my families giving goes to church organizations.

I've added nothing more than the truth. And we've all witnessed your commentary about your businesses and taxes. You'd like to give 10 percent, true or not? Do you think Catholic Charities lies when it makes its reports about its giving? Do you think the billions distributed through the government should be stopped? Do you think it would take in as much? I think you meant to use the word "family's", but as I wrote before, you'd like your family's giving to be 10 percent at most, or am I wrong in that?

Hell, I would be happy with 20% at this point. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 13, 2013 at 10:10 PM

When dd was a baby, I relied on Wic for her formula too. But being a survivalist at heart, I always tried to put away at least a small can a month for her for just in case.I also had a small stash of cheap cloth diapers. Those came in handy when dd had the runds and pay day was 3 days away!

It never hurts to be prepared.

SherryBerry106
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I would love for those children to not be hungry.

I would also love for the parasites that are having these children to make better decisions so that their children can eat.

Quoting idunno1234:

It is unbelievable that even on a website geared towards mothers there are people who are more pissed off about the possibility of feeding other people's children than outraged at the possibility of those children going hungry.

On another thread I posted this to put things into perspective:

By the Numbers: How Americans Spend Their Money

210  16 ShareNew  submit to reddit

Last year, Americans spent $10.7 trillion shopping. With that much dough, you could buy over 2000 aircraft carriers, 300 private islands, and still have money left over for a latte. Here's a taste of the things we bought-and how much we spent on them.

Beer: $96 billion-enough to make 199,937,239 barrels!
(Brewers Association)

Pretzels: $550 million
(Reuters)

St. Patrick's Day: $4.14 billion
(National Retail Federation)

Over-the-Counter Teeth Whiteners: $1.4 billion
(MSNBC)

Sinus Treatments: $5.8 billion
(Centers for Disease Control)

Pet Halloween Costumes: $310 million (The pet industry hauls in a total $50.96 billion!)
(National Retail Federation/American Pet Product Association)

Easter: $16.8 billion
(National Retail Association)

Romance Novels: $10 billion
(Romance Writers of America)

Engagement and Wedding Rings: $11 billion
(Knot Market Intelligence)

Valentine's Day Flowers: $1.7 billion

Chocolate: $16 billion dollars (we eat 2.8 billion pounds of it!)
(IBIS)

Perfume: $4.2 billion
(Research and Markets)

Gambling: $34.6 billion
(American Gaming Association)

Coffee: $11 billion ($1.4 billion is organic!)
(Franchise Direct/North American Organic Coffee Industry Report)

Tattoos: $2.3 billion
(INC.)

Tattoo Removal: $66 million
(IBIS)

Golf Balls: $500 million
(Forbes)

Girl Scout Cookies: $800 million
(Girl Scouts of America)

Taxidermy: $800 million
(Breakthrough Magazine)

Video Games: $17 billion dollars
(NPD Group)

Soft Drinks: $65 billion
(National Soft Drinks Association)

Bottled Water: $11 billion
(Beverage Marketing Corp.)

Groceries: $478 billion
(USDA)

Fast Food: $117 billion
(Fast Food Marketing)

Professional Sports: $25.4 billion
(WR Hambrecht)

Dollar Store Purchases: $30 billion
(Security and Exchange Commission)

Alternative Medicine: $33.9 Billion
(Consumer Reports)

Toilet Paper: $2.6 billion
(NY Times)

Ringtones: $5 billion worldwide
(NY Times)

Baggage Fees: $3.36 billion
(Bureau of Transportation)

Credit Card Late Fees: $18 billion
(RK Hammer)

Lawn Care: $40 billion
(Bloomberg)

Child Care: $47 billion
(IBIS)

Twinkies: Approximately $500 million
(WSJ)

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/31222/numbers-how-americans-spend-their-money#ixzz2hbYaYhxS
--brought to you by mental_floss!

Quoting SherryBerry106:

It is unbelievable that you think it is the politicians role to PUT food in any ones mouth.

Quoting nana2u10:

It is unbelievable that this happens in this day and age. Some of those politicians should go home and take the food out of their familys mouth.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:02 PM

You are just now figuring out that humans often suck??

People do the most awful horrific things, every second of every day there are people doing unimaginably awful things.  Most don't do horrible things but even the best of us slip and and do stupid things, treat others in a less than ideal way,  have lapses in judgment....things that consistently make clear the fallibility of all of us, albeit some obviously suck a lot more at life than others.  Some also get a lot more shit thrown at them than others.

I would love to cleanse the human race of all ickiness but until that happens, I have no problem feeding, helping those who suffer needlessly.  I also have no problem recognizing that people like me exist everywhere....shit happens, people struggle and kids suffer.  Its not always about amoral assholes who procreate irresponsibly- statistics suggest just the opposite- that the parasites you refer to are in the minority.  Also, some of those "parasites" are truly incapable, for whatever reason, of taking care of themselves and others.  Either way, their children do not deserve judgment, shame, insecurity or hunger, even if only for a self-serving reason of trying to stop the cycle before it repeats.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

I would also love for the parasites that are having these children to make better decisions so that their children can eat.

Quoting idunno1234:

It is unbelievable that even on a website geared towards mothers there are people who are more pissed off about the possibility of feeding other people's children than outraged at the possibility of those children going hungry.

Last year, Americans spent $10.7 trillion shopping. With that much dough, you could buy over 2000 aircraft carriers, 300 private islands, and still have money left over for a latte. Here's a taste of the things we bought-and how much we spent on them.

(Brewers Association)

(Reuters)

(MSNBC)

Pet Halloween Costumes: $310 million (The pet industry hauls in a total $50.96 billion!)

(IBIS)

(Research and Markets)

(INC.)

(IBIS)

(Forbes)

(Girl Scouts of America)

(Breakthrough Magazine)

(NPD Group)

(USDA)

(Fast Food Marketing)

(WR Hambrecht)

(Consumer Reports)

(NY Times)

(NY Times)

(RK Hammer)

(Bloomberg)

(IBIS)

(WSJ)

Read the full text here: http://mentalfloss.com/article/31222/numbers-how-americans-spend-their-money#ixzz2hbYaYhxS

Quoting SherryBerry106:

It is unbelievable that you think it is the politicians role to PUT food in any ones mouth.

Quoting nana2u10:

It is unbelievable that this happens in this day and age. Some of those politicians should go home and take the food out of their familys mouth.

SherryBerry106
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM

There is the true stupidity right there.

All you enablers do is perpetuate the cycle.

Quoting idunno1234:

People do the most awful horrific things, every second of every day there are people doing unimaginably awful things.  Most don't do horrible things but even the best of us slip and and do stupid things, treat others in a less than ideal way,  have lapses in judgment....things that consistently make clear the fallibility of all of us, albeit some obviously suck a lot more at life than others.  Some also get a lot more shit thrown at them than others.

I would love to cleanse the human race of all ickiness but until that happens, I have no problem feeding, helping those who suffer needlessly.  I also have no problem recognizing that people like me exist everywhere....shit happens, people struggle and kids suffer.  Its not always about amoral assholes who procreate irresponsibly- statistics suggest just the opposite- that the parasites you refer to are in the minority.  Also, some of those "parasites" are truly incapable, for whatever reason, of taking care of themselves and others.  Either way, their children do not deserve judgment, shame, insecurity or hunger, even if only for a self-serving reason of trying to stop the cycle before it repeats.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting idunno1234:

(Brewers Association)

(Reuters)

(MSNBC)

(IBIS)

(Research and Markets)

(INC.)

(IBIS)

(Forbes)

(Girl Scouts of America)

(Breakthrough Magazine)

(NPD Group)

(USDA)

(Fast Food Marketing)

(WR Hambrecht)

(Consumer Reports)

(NY Times)

(NY Times)

(RK Hammer)

(Bloomberg)

(IBIS)

(WSJ)

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting nana2u10:

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I think that no child should suffer for their parents' sins, circumstances, whatever and now I'm an enabler?  I talk about ending the cycle and somehow you read it as perpetuating it?

Let me guess.... your personal preference would be to round them all up and shoot them, all poor and their progeny.  No, silly me....that would waste good bullets.

Better to let them starve to death but lets put them on an island so no one has to be tainted by the sight.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting idunno1234:

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting idunno1234:

(Brewers Association)

(Reuters)

(MSNBC)

(IBIS)

(Research and Markets)

(INC.)

(IBIS)

(Forbes)

(Girl Scouts of America)

(Breakthrough Magazine)

(NPD Group)

(USDA)

(Fast Food Marketing)

(WR Hambrecht)

(Consumer Reports)

(NY Times)

(NY Times)

(RK Hammer)

(Bloomberg)

(IBIS)

(WSJ)

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting nana2u10:

SherryBerry106
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Your way is certainly not woking.

Quoting idunno1234:

I think that no child should suffer for their parents' sins, circumstances, whatever and now I'm an enabler?  I talk about ending the cycle and somehow you read it as perpetuating it?

Let me guess.... your personal preference would be to round them all up and shoot them, all poor and their progeny.  No, silly me....that would waste good bullets.

Better to let them starve to death but lets put them on an island so no one has to be tainted by the sight.

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting idunno1234:

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting idunno1234:

(Brewers Association)

(Reuters)

(MSNBC)

(IBIS)

(Research and Markets)

(INC.)

(IBIS)

(Forbes)

(Girl Scouts of America)

(Breakthrough Magazine)

(NPD Group)

(USDA)

(Fast Food Marketing)

(WR Hambrecht)

(Consumer Reports)

(NY Times)

(NY Times)

(RK Hammer)

(Bloomberg)

(IBIS)

(WSJ)

Quoting SherryBerry106:

Quoting nana2u10:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN