Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How many missed appointments should be it?

I realize how precious appointments are, I do.  I understand how inconvenient and a what a waste of resources it is to have people who dont show up. I also know we, me specifically , are fallible

I had a horrible scare today.  I missed my ortho clinic appointment today.  When I made the appointment she explained their new policy to me.  The have the right to drop you after one.

I thought my goose was cooked.  I really dont know where else I would go. 

I called them right away and left a tearful apologetic message and she called me back and told me she was able to cancel the missed appointment in the system and they could reschedule.

I am Soooooo grateful.  I have been treated there for 30 yrs.  I would be lost without them. 

So how many times should aa person be allowed to miss appointments before being blacklisted?  Even hair/nail appointment.  Anytime you waste someones time they could say thats it...

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:10 PM

IDK- I went to a surgeon last week a missed appt was $275- I guess that covers the office visit fee? 

Jadegirl1819
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it should depend on how long they have been a patient.  After being a patient for 30 years it would be bad form for them to just drop you after one missed appointment.  I would say 2, though.

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:19 PM

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Did you call to cancel before 24 hrs? or did you not give them enough time?

I called them after the aappointment time.  It was for 10 and I called them at 11 30.  I thought it was at 1 .  I have no good excuse but I had 2 hours being terrified of having lost my dr..  I do get it.  Totally.  I will be very careful in the future.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Yes all my husbands doctors give a reminder call. 

I am very very grateful I have been given another chance!

Quoting LittleBirdFly:

at my peadiatrican it says if you are late 3 times or do not show up you will be dropped. But most doctor offices are so over full and the time they take to actually see you I dont think they would miss it if one patient would be not there a day. Most Doctors schedule next patient ever 10 to 15 mins. But like ahair appointment is somethingdifferent I think, because this one person made time just for you, usually for more than and hour.

But I would give people a second and depending onthe case a third chance. But Ihave never missed an appointment. Aroundhere the Officec call you before to reimnd ou again - which is really helpful, espeically when you have an appointment scheduled a bit far away.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Since human beings (ALL) are fallible and prone to make mistakes, a 1 and done policy is absolutely absurd- EVERYONE misses an appointment at least once in their life- perhaps the less than human cretins, don't....if you're in this group, no need to respond back to me, thanks.

Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 4:23 PM
With hair and nail appts I feel their should be some wiggle room because a great deal of time they don't actually start doing your hair at the appt time.Sort of the same with the dr's office but either way with medical appts those should be gone to and i understand if people forget but its the habitual people who need to be black listed.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:43 PM

My children's pediatrician gives 2 chances and that includes being late.

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:46 PM

How cute. You think everyone misses stuff because you do.

No. I don't miss appointments. I am hyper-punctual.

Quoting Sisteract:

Since human beings (ALL) are fallible and prone to make mistakes, a 1 and done policy is absolutely absurd- EVERYONE misses an appointment at least once in their life- perhaps the less than human cretins, don't....if you're in this group, no need to respond back to me, thanks.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 8:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My personal policy for my music students is two.  Everybody has the occasional day where for some reason an appointment just drops out of their mind, or they are in the ER, etc., and busy with other things.   Someone who misses two appointments doesn't care enough for me to want to work with them.   

Missing and rescheduling or calling to cancel because of an emergency are two entirely different animals, though.   

nixore
by Myk Elskling on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I'd say 3.  1 could be an honest mistake or something came up suddenly.  2 could just be really, terrible luck.  3, though...  Well, then it's just starting to seem like they really don't care. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)