Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How many missed appointments should be it?

I realize how precious appointments are, I do.  I understand how inconvenient and a what a waste of resources it is to have people who dont show up. I also know we, me specifically , are fallible

I had a horrible scare today.  I missed my ortho clinic appointment today.  When I made the appointment she explained their new policy to me.  The have the right to drop you after one.

I thought my goose was cooked.  I really dont know where else I would go. 

I called them right away and left a tearful apologetic message and she called me back and told me she was able to cancel the missed appointment in the system and they could reschedule.

I am Soooooo grateful.  I have been treated there for 30 yrs.  I would be lost without them. 

So how many times should aa person be allowed to miss appointments before being blacklisted?  Even hair/nail appointment.  Anytime you waste someones time they could say thats it...

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
nixore
by Myk Elskling on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm so happy for you that you're perfect!  But why did you feel the need to tell us? 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

How cute. You think everyone misses stuff because you do.

No. I don't miss appointments. I am hyper-punctual.

Quoting Sisteract:

Since human beings (ALL) are fallible and prone to make mistakes, a 1 and done policy is absolutely absurd- EVERYONE misses an appointment at least once in their life- perhaps the less than human cretins, don't....if you're in this group, no need to respond back to me, thanks.

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Because of the person who calls those who don't miss appointment less than human and we shouldn't respond.

She just wanted the attention for being snarky, so I gave attention. :)

Quoting nixore:

I'm so happy for you that you're perfect!  But why did you feel the need to tell us? 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Sisteract:

Since human beings (ALL) are fallible and prone to make mistakes, a 1 and done policy is absolutely absurd- EVERYONE misses an appointment at least once in their life- perhaps the less than human cretins, don't....if you're in this group, no need to respond back to me, thanks.

nixore
by Myk Elskling on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Ah, shit.  Somehow I missed or forgot just how snarky the end of her comments were.  I tend to agree that most people will miss at least one, but I can't argue that ALL people will.  

I apologize for being snarky at you.  I'm in a terrible mood today and my bitch has been coming out pretty easily.  Thanks for not being a bitch back at me. 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Because of the person who calls those who don't miss appointment less than human and we shouldn't respond.

She just wanted the attention for being snarky, so I gave attention. :)

Quoting nixore:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Sisteract:

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I am hyperpunctual and hyperorganized.  I have dozens of students with individual and frequently changing appointments to keep track of, as well as personal appointments for me, appointments for my son, appointments for my husband.  Sometimes even the most conscientious and organized people miss appointments.  Even me.  If you haven't, congratulations.  However, I predict that you will, at some point in your life, miss an appointment.  

I do agree that in general, if you miss an appointment without providing the appropriate notice, you need to pay for the appointment.  Note to small business people: always spell out your cancellation policy in advance.  Further, if you pay, it doesn't count as a miss, either, it's just an opportunity cost of being a bit too busy.  For me, I get a paid half hour or hour to practice, but of course, it would always be better to be teaching.  

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Sisteract:

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:25 PM
It has to do with my mom. I needed to tell her to pick me up 90 minutes earlier than I would need for an after school pick up because of extracurriculars. That way she would be on time.

Or, I would have to have doctor appointments rescheduled 3-4-5 times because she would get me there an hour after I should be.

I cannot do it.

Quoting momtoscott:

I am hyperpunctual and hyperorganized.  I have dozens of students with individual and frequently changing appointments to keep track of, as well as personal appointments for me, appointments for my son, appointments for my husband.  Sometimes even the most conscientious and organized people miss appointments.  Even me.  If you haven't, congratulations.  However, I predict that you will, at some point in your life, miss an appointment.  

I do agree that in general, if you miss an appointment without providing the appropriate notice, you need to pay for the appointment.  Note to small business people: always spell out your cancellation policy in advance.  Further, if you pay, it doesn't count as a miss, either, it's just an opportunity cost of being a bit too busy.  For me, I get a paid half hour or hour to practice, but of course, it would always be better to be teaching.  

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Sisteract:

katemckenzie
by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:28 PM

My doctor gives you 3 a year before they drop you from their practice.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:30 PM

we have the same policy....however Ive never seen it enforced and Ive missed a lot of appointments.

My son has braces through the public system....they now make your appointment (which is usually a month away) and then it is my responsibility to call them AT LEAST 2 days prior to that appointment to ensure that you will be there.  I can barely remember to turn up ON the day let alone remember to ring two days prior!

They also have a 10 minute cancellation....if you are later than 10 minutes your appointment is cancelled.

Its the only public facility that I have been too where I have only ever waited no more than 5 minutes.  So my thing is now to have all my reminded set EVERYWHERE so that I never have to miss that call back.  I have two months left and then no more worries....I think I can make it LMAO

JTE11
by Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Anyone can have one mistake, I think two maybe three at the most.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:42 PM

I understand the hypervigilance and attention to detail and had a similarly irresponsible mom.  But even for those of us who have learned to function in that perfectionistic way, every once in a while things just get to the over scheduled point, or something horribly out of control happens. 

(Writing from the POV of someone trying to juggle a work life including private students whose schedules can change from week to week, plus rehearsals and performances, plus a son who is a high school student with multiple activities, plus a husband who has business trips scheduled unpredictably, on short notice, and the same son who just threw out his knee and has to have two surgeries plus PT this fall, and also plus our regular house and house maintenance stuff, etc.  My schedule right now is vomit-inducing and extremely tight.)  

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

It has to do with my mom. I needed to tell her to pick me up 90 minutes earlier than I would need for an after school pick up because of extracurriculars. That way she would be on time.

Or, I would have to have doctor appointments rescheduled 3-4-5 times because she would get me there an hour after I should be.

I cannot do it.

Quoting momtoscott:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Sisteract:

GotSomeKids
by Silver Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Well that depends?  Are we talking within a certain time frame.....6 months....a year?

I rarely miss appointments, but its happened.  My dentist didn't kick me to the curb.  Nor did my salon for being 10 mins late, but I did call and tell them I was on my way.  I can't recall the last time I missed an appointment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)