Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How many missed appointments should be it?

I realize how precious appointments are, I do.  I understand how inconvenient and a what a waste of resources it is to have people who dont show up. I also know we, me specifically , are fallible

I had a horrible scare today.  I missed my ortho clinic appointment today.  When I made the appointment she explained their new policy to me.  The have the right to drop you after one.

I thought my goose was cooked.  I really dont know where else I would go. 

I called them right away and left a tearful apologetic message and she called me back and told me she was able to cancel the missed appointment in the system and they could reschedule.

I am Soooooo grateful.  I have been treated there for 30 yrs.  I would be lost without them. 

So how many times should aa person be allowed to miss appointments before being blacklisted?  Even hair/nail appointment.  Anytime you waste someones time they could say thats it...

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 11, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I missed an orthodontic appt with my daughter in 1999-

There was my one.

The Ortho neither charged or fired us-

I am not perfect.

Only "fake"/factious/crazy people are perfect- or claim to be-

Quoting momtoscott:

I am hyperpunctual and hyperorganized.  I have dozens of students with individual and frequently changing appointments to keep track of, as well as personal appointments for me, appointments for my son, appointments for my husband.  Sometimes even the most conscientious and organized people miss appointments.  Even me.  If you haven't, congratulations.  However, I predict that you will, at some point in your life, miss an appointment.  

I do agree that in general, if you miss an appointment without providing the appropriate notice, you need to pay for the appointment.  Note to small business people: always spell out your cancellation policy in advance.  Further, if you pay, it doesn't count as a miss, either, it's just an opportunity cost of being a bit too busy.  For me, I get a paid half hour or hour to practice, but of course, it would always be better to be teaching.  

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

How cute. You think everyone misses stuff because you do.

No. I don't miss appointments. I am hyper-punctual.

Quoting Sisteract:

Since human beings (ALL) are fallible and prone to make mistakes, a 1 and done policy is absolutely absurd- EVERYONE misses an appointment at least once in their life- perhaps the less than human cretins, don't....if you're in this group, no need to respond back to me, thanks.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 11, 2013 at 10:12 PM
1 mom liked this

You must be new-

She'll tell you, daily.

Quoting nixore:

I'm so happy for you that you're perfect!  But why did you feel the need to tell us? 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Sisteract:

Since human beings (ALL) are fallible and prone to make mistakes, a 1 and done policy is absolutely absurd- EVERYONE misses an appointment at least once in their life- perhaps the less than human cretins, don't....if you're in this group, no need to respond back to me, thanks.

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM

I've never missed an appointment... and I've had plenty, lol.  I have, however, been late a few times, and always apologized the second I walked in to check in.  I was late to my rheumatologist appointment a couple of weeks ago, horrendous traffic, and 4 people walked in immediately after me, all of them late due to the same traffic, lol.

I think you should get one freebie for missing an appointment.  After that, they can drop you if they want.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

I like the three strikes rule.

The first time, fine; the second time, ok. After the 3rd attempt at an appointment is missed, time to re-assess if that person is perhaps not really very serious about pursuing the appointment.

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Totally agree. If you've been a patient of theirs for 30 years, it seems really crappy that they would even consider dropping you after 1 missed appointment!! 

Quoting Jadegirl1819:

I think it should depend on how long they have been a patient.  After being a patient for 30 years it would be bad form for them to just drop you after one missed appointment.  I would say 2, though.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I know exactly how you felt. This happened to me with one my child's doctors. I ahd made the appointmnet 3 months before. I wrote the appointment date and time on the calendar but for some reason, it had been such a crazy week and an even crazier day that I completly forgot. Of course, the ADr office called me 2 hours after I missed the appointment to tell me I was late. I was MORTIFIED!

{{{shrugs}}}} there was nothing I could do at that point. So, I was able to re-schedule, but had to wait an additional 4 weeks for the next appointment.

But then there was the dentist appointment I was 10 minutes late. I got stuck behind a tractor and then a string of red lights. I walked in and apologized profusely. All to no avail. They said I was too late and refused to see me and I had to re-schedule. At my next appointment, I had to wait for over 10 minutes before I was seen. {talk about passive-aggressive!)

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Did you call to cancel before 24 hrs? or did you not give them enough time?

I called them after the aappointment time.  It was for 10 and I called them at 11 30.  I thought it was at 1 .  I have no good excuse but I had 2 hours being terrified of having lost my dr..  I do get it.  Totally.  I will be very careful in the future.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I'd say 2 . 1 is bsurd to me.

SWasson
by Bronze Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:16 AM

If it's a new patient/client for a non-essential service, I can see having a policy of banning the client if they missed an appointment, but if it's someone you've been seeing for many years, you judge them on their overall record, rather than just enforce a blanket policy.

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM

LOL  it does feel that way. 

Quoting Sisteract:

You must be new-

She'll tell you, daily.

Quoting nixore:

I'm so happy for you that you're perfect!  But why did you feel the need to tell us? 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting Sisteract:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN