Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama rules out short-term debt ceiling hike - MAKE NOTE.

Posted by   + Show Post

Obama rules out short-term debt ceiling hike

By Brendan Sasso - 10/12/13 06:17 AM ET

President Obama signaled Saturday that he wouldn't accept the Republicans' offer for a short-term increase in the nation's debt limit.

"It wouldn't be wise, as some suggest, to just kick the debt ceiling can down the road for a couple months, and flirt with a first-ever intentional default right in the middle of the holiday shopping season," Obama said in his weekly address.

"Because damage to America's sterling credit rating wouldn't just cause global markets to go haywire; it would become more expensive for everyone in America to borrow money. Students paying for college. Newlyweds buying a home," he said.

House Republicans have offered a six-week increase in the debt limit. If adopted, the plan will buy time for broader negotiations over entitlement spending and taxes, they say.

Obama claimed that the damage to interest rates from failing to pass a long-term debt ceiling hike would create a "Republican default tax" on families and businesses.

"Manufacturing crises to extract massive concessions isn't how our democracy works, and we have to stop it," Obama said. "Politics is a battle of ideas, but you advance those ideas through elections and legislation - not extortion."

The United States will hit the debt ceiling and begin defaulting on its bills on Thursday, according to the Treasury Department.

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/328189-obama-pans-short-term-debt-ceiling-hike#ixzz2hVnRYHjh
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 8:58 AM
Replies (31-33):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DSamuels:

From CNN:

Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama is ready to talk even on Republicans' terms, he insisted Tuesday, so long as Congress acts first to end the government shutdown and raise the debt ceiling -- even for a short period.
At a news conference, Obama indicated Republicans could essentially set the agenda for budget negotiations, but only if Congress agrees first to a short-term spending plan to fund the government and to raise the federal borrowing limit to avoid a possible first-ever U.S. default next week.
"I will talk about anything," the president said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/08/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html

Quoting Friday:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

So which Obama do you agree with?  The one that was in front of the camera talking to his constituents or the one behind close doors that just pulled the plug on something that he asked for?

Quoting Friday:

I agree with him. We have already kicked this can too many times. Congress and the WH need to get over themselves and work together to find a compromise. I've had it with all those losers.

LMAO at the indignation over Obama renigging after Reid & Boehner had a deal this summer and Boehner changed his mind. Obama and Boehner probably both got calls from their corporate masters to 'take a stand'.

I think both of them are full of shit. If he asked for a short term solution then it's pretty douchey to turn it down.

Like I said, seems like every time they think they have something, someone backs out and I'd bet their corp masters let them know the deal wasn't acceptable.

I would be fine with a deal that wiped out all the waivers Obama gave out for ACA. If it's so awesome, roll it out and let the chips fall. I don't think the constant putting things off for a few weeks, months, whatever is the way to go. It hasn't worked so well(sequester, anyone?) so enough. Especially with our retail season coming up.

I'm thinking of starting a FB campaign, 'Fire em all' and try to get everyone to boot all the incumbents. They won't vote for term limits so we need to remind them that we are the boss and can send them packing. Problem is, most people think their rep is fine but all those other guys are the problem. I don't know how to change that but I have voted against the incumbent in the last election or two and would sacrifice the senator I like to get rid of the one I don't like and my dumbass congressman.

Like I said douchey.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:16 PM
I agree!

Quoting Friday:

Quoting DSamuels:

From CNN:

Washington (CNN) -- President Barack Obama is ready to talk even on Republicans' terms, he insisted Tuesday, so long as Congress acts first to end the government shutdown and raise the debt ceiling -- even for a short period.

At a news conference, Obama indicated Republicans could essentially set the agenda for budget negotiations, but only if Congress agrees first to a short-term spending plan to fund the government and to raise the federal borrowing limit to avoid a possible first-ever U.S. default next week.

"I will talk about anything," the president said.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/08/politics/shutdown-showdown/index.html

Quoting Friday:

Quoting pvtjokerus:

So which Obama do you agree with?  The one that was in front of the camera talking to his constituents or the one behind close doors that just pulled the plug on something that he asked for?

Quoting Friday:

I agree with him. We have already kicked this can too many times. Congress and the WH need to get over themselves and work together to find a compromise. I've had it with all those losers.

LMAO at the indignation over Obama renigging after Reid & Boehner had a deal this summer and Boehner changed his mind. Obama and Boehner probably both got calls from their corporate masters to 'take a stand'.

I think both of them are full of shit. If he asked for a short term solution then it's pretty douchey to turn it down.

Like I said, seems like every time they think they have something, someone backs out and I'd bet their corp masters let them know the deal wasn't acceptable.

I would be fine with a deal that wiped out all the waivers Obama gave out for ACA. If it's so awesome, roll it out and let the chips fall. I don't think the constant putting things off for a few weeks, months, whatever is the way to go. It hasn't worked so well(sequester, anyone?) so enough. Especially with our retail season coming up.

I'm thinking of starting a FB campaign, 'Fire em all' and try to get everyone to boot all the incumbents. They won't vote for term limits so we need to remind them that we are the boss and can send them packing. Problem is, most people think their rep is fine but all those other guys are the problem. I don't know how to change that but I have voted against the incumbent in the last election or two and would sacrifice the senator I like to get rid of the one I don't like and my dumbass congressman.

Like I said douchey.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JackandJayne
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:40 PM

God forbid they take a look at the fact that they keep recruiting more tax consumers than we have tax producers, law makers INCLUDED. But No, let's just ramp up the ceiling. 

And I don't know wtf is going on in the WH regarding his call for a short term deal and then scratching it so quick saying its not the answer. 

Whats even scarier, is the next leadership will probably follow this downtrend of shakey leadership. Say it once, say it will full confidence and stand firm. No matter where you are on the issue, at least we know we can depend on you. And if you change your mind, I expect an address from YOUR OFFICE, not like a celebrity with an entourage and people clapping and hollering, explaining why you've had a change of heart. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)