Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

I dont know that I am an expert on anything but I feel my life has yielded a wealth of information in a lot of areas.  I feel like a jack of all, master of none :)  I do continue to learn :)

What area do you feel you have the most information in?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Replies (141-146):
flprincessmom
by Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 1:04 AM
My interests are with working with disadvantaged youth....it is my passion to work in social work...I have worked in all sorts of fields, but social work is my heart
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 2:19 AM

Jewish theology/studies, psychology, biology, philosophy and food. :D 

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:30 AM
I've written three trolls to this but my internet is messed up and it erases it when I try to submit. So I write you a couple of well thought out and interesting responses but now I'm bitter and don't wavy to get hurt again. I'll write more when I wake up again and have renewed patience

Quoting LindaClement:

I've read everything he's ever written.

A lot of the Long Earth is clearly Terry's work, hints and threads from other books (oddly, one of his earliest: Dark Side of the Sun, pokes in with familiar themes, ideas, inventions and descriptions.) I'll certainly never read a Stephen Baxter on the strength of that mess.

Dodger is not the only book that takes place in a world without magic, it's just crap is all. It's derivative, unimaginative, lacks the spark and creativity of all of the rest of his work (with the exception of the aforementioned terrible Long Earth.)

Given what has happened to his writing in the last 3 books (the 2nd Long Earth is out, and I'm not going to read it) I will not give Moist another try.

If it gets rave reviews from long-time fans, maybe. But not 'because it's Pratchett.'

I sensed the loosening of his grip in I Shall Wear Midnight, with the most rushed and ridiculous ending of any book he'd written as an adult (I don't recommend The Carpet People, either, but you can excuse that as a practice novel by a teenager.) Thin characters, trite plotting, inexplicable coincidences...

Have you read Nation? The contrast between it and Midnight is astonishing, considering how close in publication date they are. Nation is brilliant!

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I think the Long Earth should have a different scale as

there is another writer's style smashing it all to hell. Ahem. Not that I don't appreciate all the other guy brings to the table with airships and the like (kicks wall).

Dodger took place in a world without much magic. His desire to write literature is rearing its head again and it will be glossed over.

His children's books are very good still and if you haven't read them, I recommend it. I read that he had books waiting to be published for almost six years or something ridiculous. I also don't know how his next discworld book will be this year but I'll take a chance on Moist von Lipwig one more time.

Quoting LindaClement:

No, the new ones: Dodger, The Long Earth and I'm not reading any more newer ones.

He has Alzheimers. It's really starting to show. :(

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Which books are you talking about?

I remember thinking that something must have happened to him between Witches Abroad and Soul Music because his books became pretty dark for awhile but that has been twenty years ago.

Quoting LindaClement:

Mm...Terry Pratchett books :D

Except the latest ones. Arg. So sad.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

The Simpsons

Terry Pratchett books

Khmer Rouge years in Cambodia (most of that is gone now)

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:30 AM
I've written three replies to this but my internet is messed up and it erases it when I try to submit. So I write you a couple of well thought out and interesting responses but now I'm bitter and don't wavy to get hurt again. I'll write more when I wake up again and have renewed patience

Quoting LindaClement:

A lot of the Long Earth is clearly Terry's work, hints and threads from other books (oddly, one of his earliest: Dark Side of the Sun, pokes in with familiar themes, ideas, inventions and descriptions.) I'll certainly never read a Stephen Baxter on the strength of that mess.

Dodger is not the only book that takes place in a world without magic, it's just crap is all. It's derivative, unimaginative, lacks the spark and creativity of all of the rest of his work (with the exception of the aforementioned terrible Long Earth.)

Given what has happened to his writing in the last 3 books (the 2nd Long Earth is out, and I'm not going to read it) I will not give Moist another try.

If it gets rave reviews from long-time fans, maybe. But not 'because it's Pratchett.'

I sensed the loosening of his grip in I Shall Wear Midnight, with the most rushed and ridiculous ending of any book he'd written as an adult (I don't recommend The Carpet People, either, but you can excuse that as a practice novel by a teenager.) Thin characters, trite plotting, inexplicable coincidences...

Have you read Nation? The contrast between it and Midnight is astonishing, considering how close in publication date they are. Nation is brilliant!

Quoting AdrianneHill:

there is another writer's style smashing it all to hell. Ahem. Not that I don't appreciate all the other guy brings to the table with airships and the like (kicks wall).

Dodger took place in a world without much magic. His desire to write literature is rearing its head again and it will be glossed over.

His children's books are very good still and if you haven't read them, I recommend it. I read that he had books waiting to be published for almost six years or something ridiculous. I also don't know how his next discworld book will be this year but I'll take a chance on Moist von Lipwig one more time.

Quoting LindaClement:

No, the new ones: Dodger, The Long Earth and I'm not reading any more newer ones.

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I remember thinking that something must have happened to him between Witches Abroad and Soul Music because his books became pretty dark for awhile but that has been twenty years ago.

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

The Simpsons

Terry Pratchett books

lga1965
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 6:57 AM

Real Estate, selling, buying,financing....but only because we moved so often.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Poopy internet!

Quoting AdrianneHill:

I've written three replies to this but my internet is messed up and it erases it when I try to submit. So I write you a couple of well thought out and interesting responses but now I'm bitter and don't wavy to get hurt again. I'll write more when I wake up again and have renewed patience

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

Quoting LindaClement:

Quoting AdrianneHill:

The Simpsons

Terry Pratchett books

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)