Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

TGIF played a cruel joke on a Muslim woman, what do you think of what happened?

Haters gonna hate? Yeah, pretty much.

This Muslim woman asked the Garland, Texas TGI Fridays staff to remove bacon from her salad because she’s Muslim. But it got weird after that. 

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Replies (151-154):
muslimah
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quoting Rajeshsmom:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Rajeshsmom:

That was not right. As a Hindu who doesn't eat beef, I would be very pissed if they did that to me. 

It's not right to do that to someone just because you don't like their religion. 

Shame on them!! 

m,y previously jod in then Iraqi restaurant I had a customer who was obviously Hindu Indian. He ordered shish kafta. shish kafta is beef. Out of respect I informed him in case he didn';t know. He laughed and threw out a joke about it. He said he knew, he loved it, amd he wanted it, so i served him what he wanted but I made sure to let him know he knew it was beef first.

That was really nice of you to inform him first. Some Hindus do not know when something is beef.

my inlaws came to America and were eating pepperoni pizzas not knowing that pepperoni is beef.

Someone had to tell them, lol!! 

I wish I could find a place with beef pepperoni. Here they are use pork. I have to order ground beef on my pizzas.

Subhan Allah ( سبحان الله )"Glory be to Allah"
 Alhamdulillah ( الحمدللہ )"All Praise to Allah"
 Allahu Akbar ( الله اكبر )"Allah is the Greatest"

Rajeshsmom
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Try an authentic Italian restuarant. They usually serve beef pepperoni. At least the one where I live does. 

We don't eat pork either, so I know how you feel! 

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Rajeshsmom:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Rajeshsmom:

That was not right. As a Hindu who doesn't eat beef, I would be very pissed if they did that to me. 

It's not right to do that to someone just because you don't like their religion. 

Shame on them!! 

m,y previously jod in then Iraqi restaurant I had a customer who was obviously Hindu Indian. He ordered shish kafta. shish kafta is beef. Out of respect I informed him in case he didn';t know. He laughed and threw out a joke about it. He said he knew, he loved it, amd he wanted it, so i served him what he wanted but I made sure to let him know he knew it was beef first.

That was really nice of you to inform him first. Some Hindus do not know when something is beef.

my inlaws came to America and were eating pepperoni pizzas not knowing that pepperoni is beef.

I wish I could find a place with beef pepperoni. Here they are use pork. I have to order ground beef on my pizzas.

muslimah
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Quoting Rajeshsmom:

Try an authentic Italian restuarant. They usually serve beef pepperoni. At least the one where I live does. 

We don't eat pork either, so I know how you feel! 

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Rajeshsmom:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Rajeshsmom:

Shame on them!! 

Maybe I will do that next time I have pizza. I only allow myself to have it a few times a year but I will keep that in mind.

muslimah
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LindaClement:

Have you seen Waiting?

My experience in restaurants is far more extensive than yours appears to be. People get cavalier about all kinds of things far beyond handwashing ... and they never think of it as 'risking their jobs' because, well, quite simply: they haven't been fired for anything they've got away with to date, so they probably won't. See also: people who don't wear seatbelts...

I think your scenario is quite likely --still, not a malicious joke targeting anyone.

Quoting collectivecow:

Many servers are trained in this area. Does it mean servers adhere to the practice? No, in fact servers tend to be too busy to bother washing their hands, or keeping thumbs off plates (next time you're at a restaurant, see if your server places their hand underneath your plate - properly - or sticks their thumb on the edges - improperly -).

A joke? I disagree.

It's more plausable to assume the following scenario happened:

A) The restaurant was busy
B) The server removed the bacon by hand without re-doing the order
C) The server didn't wash their hands and had bits of bacon on them
D) The server used their dirty hands to put a straw in the cup
D) Bits of bacon from their hands transferred into the straw 

I fail to see it as a joke because:

- Most people wouldn't stake their paycheck, livelihood or stability on a joke
- Most people have some form of familiarity with those they joke with (outside of comic shows)
- Most people wouldn't want to risk repurcussions

In regards to reasoning, it's fairly typical that this is the type of behavior people display when they disrespect an individual's choice (be they vegetarian, Muslim, or allergic). The issue with the reasoning is that it may have been a trigger for the response.

The woman already received unpreferential treatment prior to the event with the straw occuring. Meaning, something was already wrong - someone in good spirits wouldn't be in a cold/dissociative mood when trying to prank someone. The question one has to ask is whether this event was triggered by the reasoning: The woman is Muslim therefore, has a well-known dietary restriction against pork.

This is a very typical response towards disrespecting a belief however (be it vegetarianism, or Islam): To deface that belief by forcing someone to discredit it - intentionally or unintentionally - . 

Quoting LindaClement:

I have never seen a covered straw in a restaurant that is higher-end than Denny's.

I get that it doesn't sound funny at all. That is like short-sheeting the bed or adding salt to someone's coffee: not my idea of humour at all. But that doesn't mean it's no one's... and it doesn't mean it was targeted.

There are a lot of reasons to ask for a salad without bacon: not wanting to have the stupid conversation about whether or not the bacon is real or fake; being on a diet; avoiding nitrates; hating the flavour; avoiding red meat in general; had some for breakfast; don't like it cold or just don't like it in salads...

Any where I have ever worked I have noticed I am the onlyone who washes my hands. I wash them when my shift starts, after smoking whichis a few times an hour and of course when going to the bathroom. Still even at that I am picking cah up all day long cashing people ouit or collecting cash tips off tables. I don't have the time to wash my hands every time I handled cash before serving the next order in the kitchen waiting to go out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured