Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Getting fit. Help for those that hate exercise or certain types. A confession. I NEED HELP!!

Posted by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
  • 62 Replies

Okay. I hate most exercise. I don't run. Hate it. I danced my entire life until I had my second daughter, and haven't really gone back since. Love dance. Next to my family, it is my heart and soul. I miss it terribly. 

FF 8 years and my husband is a runner. He is training for a Triatholon. Eventually he wants to do Iron Man. He really wants me to run with him, but I hate it!!! He has spent every deployment working and training because that is all there is to do. He came home yesterday looking awesome. Like seriously hot. Lol 

It made me feel absolutely useless, unattractive, and yucky. I am proud of him and support him in every way, but I know he wants me to be a part of this in some fashion. I'd love to do a 5k with him, or a mud run. It would help our relationship and if I managed it, I'd feel awesome about myself. Right now? I feel like total shit. 

I don't know how to start. Even when I was in the best shape of my life, I couldn't run to save my life. He doesn't understand why I hate it so much and it irritates him. It annoys me he can't understand why I hate running. It's painful. My hips are shot from years of ballet, my shin splints kick up when I try. It sucks. I could dance all day and be fine. I might deal with shin splints on occasion, but not to the degree I do if I try and run. 

Soooooo. You fitness people. Give me a starting point. I really want to do this for myself and family, I just don't know how to start. I deal in techniques. Is there a technique to running properly? What do I do? Tomorrow is our 15th Anniversary and I bought running shoes as his present. I know more than anything he wants us to do this together and as a family, but if I give them to him, I better be ready to back it up and I'm freaking out!!! HELP PLEASE!!! 

And thanks in advance. ;) 

by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Wii fit?

Walking on a treadmill with some headphones?

I like the bird flying game in wii fit. I stand there and flap my arms and shift balance so I can fly lol.
finnbar
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM
Well, gosh. I really don't advise running if it hurts you to do so.
Maybe ya'll could lift weights together?
I have discovered the cycling classes at my gym, they really get the weight off!
parentalrights1
by on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I lost 20 lbs in 2 months once by walking an hour a day for a few days a week. Watched what I ate

Literally would weigh myself the day after walking and be two lbs lighter every time
quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this
You should go to the Runners World website. They have a ton of tips on proper form and technique. It is different for everyone and you just need to watch some videos. I do distance running and did triathlon in the past before a car accident fucked up my back.

As far as other exercises, I love P90X. Brazil Butt Lift is fun but I was so fit when I did it the first time it wasn't a challenge. My friend is a Cage Fitness instructor and I love that class too.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:15 PM

I've never done a cycling class, but that would be part of his training. Hmmmmm? Lol I will have to look into that!! 

He got home yesterday and totally got up at 6AM for a 10 mile run. I was still in bed when he got home. His dedication is awesome, but makes me feel like crap. 

Quoting finnbar:

Well, gosh. I really don't advise running if it hurts you to do so.
Maybe ya'll could lift weights together?
I have discovered the cycling classes at my gym, they really get the weight off!

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:17 PM

We have P90x and he wants me to start. I'm scared. Lol I will check out Runners world. THANK YOU!!! 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

You should go to the Runners World website. They have a ton of tips on proper form and technique. It is different for everyone and you just need to watch some videos. I do distance running and did triathlon in the past before a car accident fucked up my back.

As far as other exercises, I love P90X. Brazil Butt Lift is fun but I was so fit when I did it the first time it wasn't a challenge. My friend is a Cage Fitness instructor and I love that class too.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:21 PM

I keep saying eating isn't my issue because I eat next to nothing. However, the Dr. I saw last week told me my lack of eating was a huge problem. I hate sweets. I do love carbs, but still I eat very little. On a rare occasion I get a craving for cheesecake or soft serve ice cream, but we are talking maybe 6 times a year. I don't eat breakfast, I drink coffee. For lunch I may have a few slices of cheese and some veggies, and I do usually eat dinner. Depends on my stress level. 

Quoting parentalrights1:

I lost 20 lbs in 2 months once by walking an hour a day for a few days a week. Watched what I ate

Literally would weigh myself the day after walking and be two lbs lighter every time

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:23 PM

I asked him if he would do a salsa class with me if he wants me to run, fly expected him to say no, but he said I have no rythm, bit I'd do it for you! Lol ugh. I have to figure out a way to run. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Have you tried Zumba?

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM

LOVE ZUMBA!!! Could do it all day. It's not running, lol 

Quoting NWP:

Have you tried Zumba?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)