Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Recycling History: Even Cavemen Lived a Green Lifestyle

Posted by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 51 Replies

Recycling History: Even Cavemen Lived a Green Lifestyle

Recycling may seem like a relatively recent phenomenon in today’s world, but archeologists are discovering that our prehistoric ancestors lived a green lifestyle. According to growing evidence, they recycled the objects they used in their daily lives, creating new utensils from broken tools made of flint or bone.

A conference called “The Origins of Recycling” this week in Tel Aviv, Israel brought together nearly 50 scholars from 10 countries to discuss the ancient recycling phenomenon. Archeologists at the meeting shared their discoveries of recycled tools at sites in Spain, North Africa, Italy and Israel dating as far back as 1.3 million years ago.

Not only humans but also their predecessors, like Homo erectus and Neanderthals, recycled tools as a survival strategy.
“Why do we recycle plastic? To conserve energy and raw materials. In the same way, if you recycled flint you didn’t have to go all the way to the quarry to get more so you conserved your energy and saved on the material,” Avi Gopher, a Tel Aviv University archeologist, told the Associated Press.

Read more: http://world.time.com/2013/10/11/recycling-history-even-cavemen-lived-a-green-lifestyle/#ixzz2hhKUDPV6

by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM
3 moms liked this

Well they kinda had to.  Just like back in the day when every part of an animal was used for something.

I am not sure why people would be surprised by this.

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:24 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not that people are surprised: It's that the cognitive abilities people have of the time period are probably not thought to be as advanced as they were by the general public.  It just builds into the idea that we should be careful about the waste we produce and at the same time that technological advancements in society aren't as amazing as we may believe they are because they are based on older technologies.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Well they kinda had to.  Just like back in the day when every part of an animal was used for something.

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Our ability to hoard and consume to excess is relatively recent in human history. 

Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

But their thoughts about "recycling" were not hardly the same.  They weren't thinking about saving the planet....or the farce that is global warming....they were thinking.....hey, if I don't reuse this I have to make another one and that's a lot of effort.

Or, hey if I don't use this entire animal I am going to have to kill another sooner and thats not easy.

Even squirrels have that thought process when they hide nuts for the winter.

It isn't higher level thinking.

Quoting collectivecow:

It's not that people are surprised: It's that the cognitive abilities people have of the time period are probably not thought to be as advanced as they were by the general public.  It just builds into the idea that we should be careful about the waste we produce and at the same time that technological advancements in society aren't as amazing as we may believe they are because they are based on older technologies.

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I have to go to work - I'll respond later. Sorry!

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

But their thoughts about "recycling" were not hardly the same.  They weren't thinking about saving the planet....or the farce that is global warming....they were thinking.....hey, if I don't reuse this I have to make another one and that's a lot of effort.

Or, hey if I don't use this entire animal I am going to have to kill another sooner and thats not easy.

Even squirrels have that thought process when they hide nuts for the winter.

It isn't higher level thinking.

Quoting collectivecow:

Quoting Wicked.Jester:

Wicked.Jester
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Agreed.  Its only extremely recently in terms of human history that we have had the luxury of doing so.

Living day by day is the historical norm.

Quoting idunno1234:

Our ability to hoard and consume to excess is relatively recent in human history. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 14, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Interesting.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Consumerism has changed everything about the way we live.

Quoting idunno1234:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:22 PM

This is ridiculous propaganda.

They didn't 'recycle' things, they used the available resources to meet their needs... like all the people all over the world did until the advent of the disposable consumer product market.

Here, on the West Coast, there are middens --TONS of shellfish shells and bones, all piled up in one place, not being 'used' much less 're-used.' They burned forests to renew the berries in the undergrowth and bring the game back.

In Alberta, there is a lovely town called Head-Smashed-In-Buffalo-Jump where the locals herded thousands of buffalo over the cliff and left the vast majority to rot.

The folks of Easter Island destroyed their ecosystem by cutting down all the trees. Akin to that, the vast expansion of the Sahara is a result of deforestation.

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 14, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Hmm... I think the idea of disposing of everything is new in s historical perspective; recycling or repurposing is as old as time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)