Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

House Republicans Sing ‘Amazing Grace’ Before Derailing Senate Deal to End Shutdown

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 51 Replies
1 mom liked this

House Republicans Sing ‘Amazing Grace’ Before Derailing Senate Deal to End Shutdown

article image

Conservative Republicans in the House of Representatives reportedly sang “Amazing Grace” before rejecting a deal from the Senate to end the federal government shutdown.

"Amazing Grace" is a hymn written by British poet John Newton in 1779 about his personal conversion to Christianity, but does not mention politics or money.

Rep. Steve Southerland (R-Fla.) led conservative Republicans in singing the hymn, notes The Washington Post.

According to The New York Times, Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) claimed the House Republicans sang the religious song to show they were unified against the Senate bill and behind a new House bill that would make changes to Obamacare and only fund the U.S. government until Dec. 15, when the entire drama would start all over again.

But not all Republicans were impressed by the House Republicans and their attempt to derail the Senate compromise between Republicans and Democrats.

“It’s very, very serious,” said Senator John McCain (R-Ariz.). “Republicans have to understand we have lost this battle, as I predicted weeks ago, that we would not be able to win because we were demanding something that was not achievable.”

“If our party can’t pass this, then there’s no doubt we’re going to end up with what the Senate sends us,” added Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.). “Look, if my colleagues can’t muster together and sometimes accept good because they’re waiting for perfect, then that’s on them.”

Sources: The New York Times and The Washington Post

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 15, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this

McCain seems to be thinking clearly.

Obviously others are not.  It is a choice and it seems they have made the wrong one.

MrsBateman211
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

yes McCain seems not to be insane amongst his party. Thank goodness for that.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

McCain seems to be thinking clearly.

Obviously others are not.  It is a choice and it seems they have made the wrong one.

MrsBateman211
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:11 PM

What I don't get is...are they going to resolve this in December or what? because what a horrible time for another shutdown at the year's end right before Christmas, AND then with January what about taxes? Yeah let's shutdown the IRS?!

lga1965
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM
This is just so inappropriate. And it seems only McCain is still sane.
Singing Amazing Grace ?
Oh my....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM
2 moms liked this

These people are ASSHOLES!!! GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banging head into wall

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Nauseating
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM
I hope this comes back to haunt them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Oh, you'll still have to file and pay. You just won't get a refund until they resolve the shutdown, go through their backlog of work, and then begin to process them. You may see your refund next August if you file immediately at the end of January. 

Remember all of those people who requested 6 month extensions? Their paperwork and payments were due today. There is no one to process them, but the website states that the money is still due today. 

Quoting MrsBateman211:

What I don't get is...are they going to resolve this in December or what? because what a horrible time for another shutdown at the year's end right before Christmas, AND then with January what about taxes? Yeah let's shutdown the IRS?!

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM
Gotta love those house republicans.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vic270
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

that is so sad because it will come back to haunt all of us.

Quoting rfurlongg:

I hope this comes back to haunt them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN