Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you think Halo and Call of Duty are healthy games for teens?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM
  • 36 Replies

I saw a show where a kid killed his mom and shot his dad over the halo game he bought without permission and his parents confiscated.

They said he became obsessed with the games and it was all bad from there :( 

How do you think these games impact youth??

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I can see that happening. I always assumed kids would become too 'addicted' to the games. We never had them. They did play them at friends houses though.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I know my nephews play them, but I don't know much about them.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I don't think they are healthy types of games.  Kids sit around and practice very realistic shooting, similar to military simulations.  Now, I'm not a prude... my son is in martial arts and we love superhero movies, even a "good" Bruce Lee movie once in a while.  He is allowed to play games, and my aversion is not because of fear of video game addiction.  I don't think it's healthy for kids to play those particular TYPES of games.

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Quoting quickbooksworm:

I don't think they are healthy types of games.  Kids sit around and practice very realistic shooting, similar to military simulations.  Now, I'm not a prude... my son is in martial arts and we love superhero movies, even a "good" Bruce Lee movie once in a while.  He is allowed to play games, and my aversion is not because of fear of video game addiction.  I don't think it's healthy for kids to play those particular TYPES of games.

I agree.  B is not allowed to play the more violent games, I am even wondering about lego batman lol.

I wish he played mario more

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:25 PM

I have a short list of games my children are allowed to play.  They also have a limited amount of time to spend playing them.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM
OMG! I hate being mobile. Lol With that said......... I have seen the games a few times. If I had boys I would not purchase these games. I have always been one not to allow to much video game time I have always felt that these types of games do have an impact on some people. How could they not? While a game does not 'cause' issues, violent games can have a negative impact on someone with issues. I refuse to proofread. I hate being mobile. Lol
Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM
This makes me laugh because ive been playing these two games for years (since i was 10) and im still terrible with guns. To me they are a great outlet. I remember being mad at my parents and locking myself.in my room playing halo 3 so i can get the anger out after usually after one game i was back to my happy self.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Although I didn't have video setups when the kids were young, I've always had a handgun. I did take the kids to the range. My son never had any interest after the one time. Both kids bought their own gaming systems when they were in their 20's. My son is into it, but is still not into real guns. My daughter only had the video system for Wii games...she has a semi-automatic gun. haha

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Oct. 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM

My son plays them.. Currently they are playing Micheal Myers on Call of Duty (someone gets picked to chase everyone else with a knife like Michael) He plays with 6 other kids in his grade... He has been playing them since he could hold a controller.. I don't know I think that there are a lot of factors involved...

A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2013 at 11:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Why does everyone blame the video game and not the fact that this young child (who was 6 or 8) had access to a gun? It always boggles my mind.

Millions of people play Halo and Call of Duty and lots of other violent games. A few who have histories of abuse and/or bullying in their background snap and everyone blames the video game or a music group they listened to instead of the fact that 14, 15, 16 year olds somehow get their hands and legally purchase or keep multiple weapons around and their parent(s) never notice or question it.

I understand America is gun-crazy but one would hope that you might question it if your 14 year old is keeping shotguns and semi-automatics in their sock drawer.

But then I would be mistaken. BLAME PLAYSTATION!! IT'S ALL THEIR FAULT!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)