Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you ever look at childhood pictures of you and wonder, WTF was mom thinking?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 14 Replies

I do.

But I know I pick much better clothes for my son.

However, I wonder if he is going to do the same thing.   I don't see how Polos ever go out of style though.

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Yes, it was a long running joke between us. Mom was a single mom and Dad wasn't great about child support so we lived simply. I had lots of hand me downs and dresses Mom made. There is a picture of me when I was 2-3 so 1971-72ish, all cute and blonde with my ponytail and this horrible puke green and orange short set. Mom said it was a nice store bought set too. Everytime we used to go shopping she would find the most hideous piece of clothing to ask me if I liked it. The 70's had some bad fashion.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

KaleaLani
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I have nightmares about how my mom dressed me. My mom hates jeans and would throw a fit if i wore them more than two days per week. She actually went into my closet once and stole all of my jeans and hid tyem from me. To this day she denies it but I found them in her bedroom hidden under her clothes in her dresser. I tell my husband that she bought my clothes as if she were buying things she would have wanted to wear when she was my age. You know ... in the fifties. I am not a skirt/blouse person at all and she always bought me skirts. Ugh.
Della529
by Matlock on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM

No, my momma really didn't follow the fashion trends for the most part.  She prefered the classics.   But I do sometimes wonder what in the world designers in the 1960's/70's were thinking - those had to be the ugliest decades for 20th century fashion.

mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 12:57 AM
1 mom liked this

I sported a mullet for awhile. 

I hate my mom. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:28 AM

My mom used to dress my brother and I alike when we were younger.  I have photos, my 4th grade year, his kindergarten year.....matching outfits.  

I never did figure out if she was trying to dress me like a boy or dress him like a girl.

Horrifying!

The best, however, is my 6th grade photo.  She made me wear a damn Whinnie The Pooh dress.  Seriously!  It was an a shape dress, cream colored with little whinnie's all over it and huge red bow around the collar.  My niece, who was in kindergarten at that time, wore the same damn dress in her school photo.

I have detested that damn bear ever since.

We laugh about it now but for years I was mortified.

VioletMaria
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 2:55 AM
When I was a little kid I was dressed by my dads neighbor. My dad didn't, and still doesn't, like me very much and my mother died in childbirth. I would like to add though I was very stylish for a kid haha. Lived next the rich kids. Handmedowns were expensive.
Aestas
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Heavens, yes. I had one of those horrible slanted bowl cuts, you know the ones. My mom's idea of high fashion consisted of frilly little outfits that looked like they belonged on baby dolls. I hated them. 

There's this one portrait my mom had done of the two of us. I was probably about 11. She made me wear this paisley dress with a huge lace collar, and both of us have our hair curled and teased up huge and shellacked in place. It looks absolutely ridiculous.

When I had my daughter, I was all happy thinking how I'd let her wear pants and get dirty playing outside...and go figure, she HATES pants and only wants to wear dresses. She doesn't like getting dirty, either. I bet if my mother were still alive to see it, she'd be laughing her ass off.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Our clothes came from donations.  My mom brought them home in big black trash bags.  They were the kind of clothes that had never been in style in the first place.  

I don't blame my mom for doing the best she could with the resources available to her in terms of our clothes.  Now my haircuts--for the pixie cut in kindergarten, in particular--there's a little resentment from me there.  I hated that cut then and still hate it now when I look at pictures of that era. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:55 AM

You are absolutely right.  Although I'd throw the 80s in with them, bubble skirts, leg warmers, and all.  

Quoting Della529:

No, my momma really didn't follow the fashion trends for the most part.  She prefered the classics.   But I do sometimes wonder what in the world designers in the 1960's/70's were thinking - those had to be the ugliest decades for 20th century fashion.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:00 AM

When I was little, my Nana knitted and crocheted.  I had an assortment of itchy and ugly sweaters.  My mother sewed a little, and made things like a black and white poncho with little pom pom trim (hideous), and long maxi skirts in loud prints.  By the time I was 12 I was working and earning money to buy my own clothes, because she was both cheap and had horrendous taste.  I wanted Levis and she insisted on buying Toughskins, which I absolutely refused to wear, so I had to earn my own clothes. 

I was given to wearing jeans and t-shirts, I had a pair of Earth shoes and pro-keds sneakers.  When I was in 9th grade, I bought myself a dark red suede and knit jacket/sweater that I adored and wore everywhere.

I don't have a lot of pics of myself as a child, I don't speak to my mother and she has them all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)