Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

HarvardX - Has anyone taken any classes?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

I was reminded about this free online learning program from Harvard in another post.  I signed up for one of the courses, but I'm curious if anyone else has taken any before?

If you have: What did you think of the experience?

https://www.edx.org/course-list/allschools/allsubjects/allcourses

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I love open courseware programs... I have started a couple, never finished, mostly because I am perpetually taking college courses when I have time, and obviously my paid courses take priority. What little I have done is great, and if you check out coursera.org, the classes are run like true online courses...you can meet with classmates, you get feedback on assignments from actual instructors and you receive a completion certificate. There are courses always being added, I highly encourage you to check it out...the schools that offer courses through coursera include Stanford, and a whole slew of accredited universities.
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Oh nice! Do the certifications count for anything outside of private personal achievement? 

I signed up for the China course: It looks really interesting! I will have to check coursera out as well.

Quoting stringtheory:

I love open courseware programs... I have started a couple, never finished, mostly because I am perpetually taking college courses when I have time, and obviously my paid courses take priority. What little I have done is great, and if you check out coursera.org, the classes are run like true online courses...you can meet with classmates, you get feedback on assignments from actual instructors and you receive a completion certificate. There are courses always being added, I highly encourage you to check it out...the schools that offer courses through coursera include Stanford, and a whole slew of accredited universities.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:37 AM
The certificate is really only good for maybe resume enhancement, lol. However, the goal of coursera is to eventually have these certs count for credit. There is more information on the goals at the website, it has probably changed a bit since last year when I signed up.

Quoting collectivecow:

Oh nice! Do the certifications count for anything outside of private personal achievement? 

I signed up for the China course: It looks really interesting! I will have to check coursera out as well.

Quoting stringtheory:

mamavalor
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM

This sounds great!  I haven't been in a classroom for 15 years.  Looks like much has changed since then.  I think I would rather much prefer to be in the classroom if I were getting a degree, but this is  good route to fulfill my interests.

Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:07 AM
I've wanted to register but I wonder how demanding the courses are.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Eh...For me, the jury is still out on moocs. I think its great that they can offer folks some access to information like that, but still not sure how this plays out in the general world of education.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I'm sure you'd learn something, but it's doubtful that you will be able to leverage what you learned into counting as college credit, or that it would boost your resume.  Probably an interesting way to explore an interest, though.  

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Sounds interesting.

krysstizzle
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Ive done a couple of coursera things, enjoyed them just for the information.
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 3:48 PM

From what I can see on the website, some of the courses do offer college credits, but you have to pay for them (which is expensive I'm sure). EdX is supposed to have similar classes that are based off of credit course for free from what I can see.

There's nothing necessarily 'special' about the classes - it's just for personal interest and fun.

Quoting momtoscott:

I'm sure you'd learn something, but it's doubtful that you will be able to leverage what you learned into counting as college credit, or that it would boost your resume.  Probably an interesting way to explore an interest, though.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)