Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think about 'slavery' being used to describe anything Reps don't like?

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM
  • 39 Replies

Restaurant Owner's 'Slavery' Sign Is Just the Tip of the Outrageous Iceberg (VIDEO)

by Maressa Brown

smokin joe's ribhouse signFile this under bad decision-making: A restaurant owner in Arkansas named Johnny Howard decided to use the following message on his marquee: "ObamaCare America's punishment for slavery years." Within 45 minutes, Smokin' Joe's Ribhouse was slammed with complaints, which I feel like is at least a little bitta silver lining to the ugly debacle. Howard scrambled to replace the politically-charged message with "Why cook? Get some carry out." But he's still rather defensive about his previous commentary.

"I apologize for the sign. It's offending people, as it did. I didn’t intend for it to be racist-oriented at all. It's the policy [the Affordable Care Act], and I made the mistake of wording it in the wrong fashion. The policy. It’s not the person, it’s the policy," Howard told 40/29 TV. Uh ... huh. Sadly, the precise target of this man's ire is only part of the problem. What's more, his poor "wording" is only one example of the nasty rhetoric coming from the right ...

Dr. Ben Carson, an African-American neurosurgeon and Fox News contributor, called Obamacare "the worst thing that has happened in this nation since slavery." And last month, Rush Limbaugh said, "[Obamacare]’s the law of the land. What else at one time was the ‘law of the land’? Slavery!”

The fact that guys like Howard and Carson and Limbaugh don't realize what they're doing when they liken the Affordable Care Act to "slavery" is absolutely astounding. It's the very same extremist, ignorant kind of talk they've been spewing for years -- likening abortion to slavery and gay marriage to slavery. Yes, all of that is just like buying and selling actual human beings like objects. Yup! Suuuure, buddies.

Here's the thing: This talk coming out of the mouths of guys like Limbaugh and trickling down to guys like Johnny Howard is twisted, shameful, deeply ignorant and irresponsible. But it's not even worth getting ourselves really bent out of shape and pretzel-twisted over. Because ultimately, these guys are only serving to make themselves look imbecilic.

It's not exactly confidence-boosting for your political party when you keep throwing out jaw-dropping analogies strictly for their shock value. It's juvenile and sad. And a perfectly good reason why an all-time high of 74 percent of Americans disapprove of the way the Republicans in Congress are behaving.

What do you think about what happened at this Arkansas restaurant -- and 'slavery' in general being used to describe anything Republicans don't like?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I find the use of the term to be inappropriate and it belittles the true meaning of slavery and not just the U.S.'s interpretation of what slavery is/was. 

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Wow

LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Agreed.  I also think most members of the GOP do not believe this (or I would hope this is the case), though I have seen a lot of posters here compare ACA to slavery.

It's a poor comparison, one really has nothing to do with the other, and also in poor taste.

Quoting LNLMommy:

I find the use of the term to be inappropriate and it belittles the true meaning of slavery and not just the U.S.'s interpretation of what slavery is/was. 

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:56 AM
11 moms liked this

I find that anyone who uses slavery and nazi comparisons to make their positions are showing desperation, lack of character and lack of intellectual ability to form an effective defense of their argument.

National Woman's Party

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this
I equate it to using "war on" whatever when a side disagrees with you on a social issue. It smacks of desperation.
Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Lmao at punishment for the slavery years. That guy is clueless. Obama has no ancestors that went through slavering in the us. Also black people have to pay for their healthcare to.smh. There is no comparison to each other. The aca says nothing about tearing families apart or branding them or hell even lashing people with a whip. Unless I missed that part. People need to find comparisons that actually fit.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

Of course you would find those two examples to be equal

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I equate it to using "war on" whatever when a side disagrees with you on a social issue. It smacks of desperation.

National Woman's Party

stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The condition of being subject to a specific influence. Are we not subject to a specific influence with ACA? Subject being to bring under control or jurisdiction. Some would argue that this would be all laws and if they had the reach this one does then sure. However, with other laws they have to catch you breaking them, then prove you did, and do not have the means to know instantaneously where or not a person is breaking such. This one has no such constraints. 

People object to minimun wage to be said to be slavery but it is under one definition, hard work and subjection. Just because someone calls something slavery does not mean they are using just one definition. 

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Slavery is the racist glory days.Racists throw the word slaverly out frequently to flex their tail feathers of cowardice.

Unfortunately a small group within the repulican party that is the new racist(tea-party).This small group enjoys taunting black people and stirring racial hate and divide whenever possible.

This restaurant owners slavery sign is just another blatant example of hate.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Quoting Cafe Steph:

What do you think about 'slavery' in general being used to describe anything Republicans don't like?

Makes a change from describing everything as 'rape', 'terrorism' or 'genocide'.

Has there been a sea change of Republicans using 'slavery' as their go-to comparison, that coincided with President Obama?  If so, that's suspicious, but pretty much politics as usual.  :-(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)