Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Hundreds of yellow jackets attack mother, young kids

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM
  • 27 Replies

ATLANTA — 

A mother and her two young children were nearly killed in a yellow jacket attack in Buckhead.

Channel 2’s Liz Artz learned the family was decorating their house when the attack happened.

Melissa Hodges had just put out their pumpkins when hundreds of yellow jackets swarmed her and her two children outside their home.

"We literally sat on their house and they swarmed us. It was the most terrifying moment of my life," Hodges said.

Hodges, her 3-year-old son and 4-year-old daughter were under attack were attacked by the yellow jackets that came up from a nest under their front walk. She said she grabbed her kids and ran for cover.

“I was taking handfuls of yellow jackets and smashing them on our foyer," Hodges said.

Her daughter, just 30 pounds, was stung 30 times and her little boy was stung only 12 times, but was allergic to the sting.

“His face was huge. He was passed out, slumped over," Hodges said.

Hodges raced to the hospital where her children remained for the next two days. She said the wasp caused a pain that was unbearable for the small children.

"It was a burning like a match to your skin. It devastated me that my 4-year-old was feeling that kind of pain," Hodges said.

Hodges said she had no idea the yellow jackets had nested in her yard and since the attack last week, has learned of several other people who have had to run for cover.

“Just get them taken care of or take care of them yourself," said Jerry Billingslea from All Good Pest Solutions.

Billingslea said yellow jackets will be around until temperatures drop. He said even after several treatments, the Hodges aren't out of the woods yet.

"They’re going to try and re-infest this nest," Billingslea said.

pics at http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/hundreds-yellow-jackets-attack-mother-young-kids/nbP84/

Those things are better than any army on this earth really. I am glad they didn't die. 

How would you react to this?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rfurlongg
by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:03 PM
2 moms liked this
That happened to Dh a few weeks ago as he mowed our lawn. He apparently ran the mower over a nest. He was stung 13 times, mostly below the calf. His ankles were swollen beyond recognition. I have never seen anything like it, nor had I ever seen Dh react that way. He took several doses of benadryl and and I rubbed arnica over his calves. They were swollen and painful for at least 24 hrs. I simply cannot imagine what those small young kids must has experienced. Thank goodness they survived.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh my goodness I am glad he is ok.

Quoting rfurlongg:

That happened to Dh a few weeks ago as he mowed our lawn. He apparently ran the mower over a nest. He was stung 13 times, mostly below the calf. His ankles were swollen beyond recognition. I have never seen anything like it, nor had I ever seen Dh react that way. He took several doses of benadryl and and I rubbed arnica over his calves. They were swollen and painful for at least 24 hrs. I simply cannot imagine what those small young kids must has experienced. Thank goodness they survived.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Good Gawd!!!!!! My kids are all severely allergic and so am I. We'd all be dead!! No way my Epi pens would save us. That's some scary $hit!!!! OMG! Goosebumps! 

stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Oh wow.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Good Gawd!!!!!! My kids are all severely allergic and so am I. We'd all be sea. No way my Epi pens would save us. That's some scary $hit!!!! OMG! Goosebumps! 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:17 PM

I had to keep u kids out of school a few weeks ago for two days after a nest swarmed their school playground. Two kids were stung and then they found this MASSIVE hive. My kids wouldn't be able to be saved of they were attacked. One sting causes anaphylaxis. Done this twice when they were little. I can't even imagine. ;( SO SCARY! 

Quoting stormcris:

Oh wow.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Good Gawd!!!!!! My kids are all severely allergic and so am I. We'd all be sea. No way my Epi pens would save us. That's some scary $hit!!!! OMG! Goosebumps! 

stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I am really glad they weren't stung and you were notified about it.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I had to keep u kids out of school a few weeks ago for two days after a nest swarmed their school playground. Two kids were stung and then they found this MASSIVE hive. My kids wouldn't be able to be saved of they were attacked. One sting causes anaphylaxis. Done this twice when they were little. I can't even imagine. ;( SO SCARY! 

Quoting stormcris:

Oh wow.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:22 PM

I got attacked by yellow jackets too because they built their nest under the brick walkway that led down the deck to the back yard.  I was only stung 6 times though.  She's right, those stings feel like fire.  I hired a bee guy to come and dig up the nest.  Good thing I kept his card because a couple of years later, we had hornets in our attic AND they came back this year.  Yellow jackets are nasty but Hornets are demonic.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM

On geez!!! That happened to my hubby last year  when cutting hedges. It was a wasp nest and he was stung a ton! Luckily he's the only non allergic person on our home, but it still freaked us out! I'm glad it was him and not our kids who encountered them. They were extremely aggressive. Mostly his arms and head. He looked like someone beat the crap out of him. I'm glad yor Hubbs is okay too. Bees and wasps scare the crap out of me! 

Quoting rfurlongg:

terpmama
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I've been stung over the last few summers (none this year so far)... Those suckers hurt! Once in the back of the neck, it swelled for weeks!! I'm not allergic either! Then an arm and a behind the knee. Both swelled badly!

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 8:29 PM
2 moms liked this

Best home remedy for bee stings..

mince a hot onion (must bring tears to your eyes or it won't work), add baking soda and vinegar to make a poultice.  Apply poultice to sting site and cover with a bandage.  Relief from pain will be almost immediate.  Change bandage with new poultice when pain comes back.  By the next morning, the swelling will be gone and the pain almost completely gone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)