Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"That From The Atheist"

Posted by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
  • 283 Replies

So someone has said that to me tonight in response to a comment I have made, and it is not the first time someone has referenced my atheism in such a manner.

And it got me to thinking (which I suppose is never a good idea lol).

Does everyone categorize other people in the forum in such a way, according to faith or lack thereof, or maybe ethnicity, marital status, age, economic status.....

How do you view others in the forum, and do you have a "go to" about others that make you automatically frame their comments within that view?

by on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM

I try to be as non-judgmental as I can when reading other posts; however, there are people I associate and attribute certain areas of expertise too.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:47 PM

Quoting collectivecow:

I try to be as non-judgmental as I can when reading other posts; however, there are people I associate and attribute certain areas of expertise too.

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that you do, at least for some people, look at their comments through a prism, that of their experience.  So, for example, you might see something that Clairwil says through the prism of knowing she's a scientist.

I guess I do that "sometimes" but I also try and just read the statements and respond to the statements more than the poster.

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:50 PM

For the most part yes, but I try to make the associations I form positive ones.

If someone isn't good at a specific topic, I don't hold it against them. Lord knows I have my strengths and weaknesses (there are topics I can delve into exceptional detail about and some that make people scratch their head and wonder if it's the same individual speaking). 

Quoting romalove:
Quoting collectivecow:

If I am reading this correctly, you are saying that you do, at least for some people, look at their comments through a prism, that of their experience.  So, for example, you might see something that Clairwil says through the prism of knowing she's a scientist.

I guess I do that "sometimes" but I also try and just read the statements and respond to the statements more than the poster.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM
2 moms liked this
It depends on the poster. Most I think I'm pretty objective with. The only ones I think I see through a prism are those posters whose agenda is hate or intolerance. I admit that with those I lose my objectivity. And decorum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Quoting collectivecow:

For the most part yes, but I try to make the associations I form positive ones.

If someone isn't good at a specific topic, I don't hold it against them. Lord knows I have my strengths and weaknesses (there are topics I can delve into exceptional detail about and some that make people scratch their head and wonder if it's the same individual speaking). 

Quoting romalove:
Quoting collectivecow:

If you made comment and someone responded with "that from the Jew" how would you feel about it?

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I found your comment offensive... why bring God into the conversation when you don't believe in Him?

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting macbudsmom:

I found your comment offensive... why bring God into the conversation when you don't believe in Him?

What on earth is offensive about reminding people "there but for the grace of God go I"???

Speechless, honestly, speechless.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 10:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm lost. What have you found offensive?

Quoting macbudsmom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting macbudsmom:

In another thread, macbudsmom was taking a single mom to task over her need for PA.  I responded to her with "there but for the grace of God go I".

macbudsmom
by Silver Member on Oct. 16, 2013 at 11:03 PM

In another post, op brought up God as if she believed in Him.  Most on here, know she does not.  She is quite vocal about it.

Quoting shannonnigans:

Quoting macbudsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN