Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Just when you think there are no good people left in the world.....

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM
  • 21 Replies
3 moms liked this

.....one of the good people goes and surprises you. 

The note from the person who picked up the check - Whiskkas via Reddit

Man overhears sad tale in diner, secretly pays for meal

20 hrs ago

When one mystery diner in a Boston restaurant overheard a mother and daughter get some bad news, he took out a pen and scribbled this note to his waiter: "Do me a favor and bring me their check, too. Someone just got diagnosed. Don't tell them." The waiter, impressed by his customer's act of kindness, posted the note on Reddit - and we're glad he did. (Now we get to have our "faith in humanity restored," too.) The waiter, known as Whiskkas on Reddit, writes that the two women started crying after the daughter received a phone call mid-meal, and that he then combined the two bills as requested. He added: "I waited until the guy left and told them he had taken care of their check, and that he said best wishes, which was what he said to do on the note he wrote me on his second bill. The mother cried even harder, I almost lost it." [Source]

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katy_kay08
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:28 PM
5 moms liked this

I never doubted for a second that there are millions of good people left in the world.  One only has to look for good instead of focusing on the negative to see it.  

v2011
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Me either.

When I went into labor with my second son I was walking in to the hospital alone (I couldn't get anyone to drive me so I took myself)  I got hit by an awful contraction and doubled over. A cancer patient, IV pole and all came quickly to my aid. He was there pretty much fighting for his life and he gave me water, sat with me and rubbed my back until medical personel came to help. Moral support goes a long way. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

I never doubted for a second that there are millions of good people left in the world.  One only has to look for good instead of focusing on the negative to see it.  

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

It's easy to forget when there is so much negativity in the world, especially on this board. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

there are many good people out there.  They just seem to be pushed to silence with the likes of Miley Cyrus and twerking.

Any good deed is best done anonymous.  If you do it for the recognition, you did it for the wrong reason.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome. Thank you for sharing. I need to hear some good stories today. 

Quoting v2011:

Me either.

When I went into labor with my second son I was walking in to the hospital alone (I couldn't get anyone to drive me so I took myself)  I got hit by an awful contraction and doubled over. A cancer patient, IV pole and all came quickly to my aid. He was there pretty much fighting for his life and he gave me water, sat with me and rubbed my back until medical personel came to help. Moral support goes a long way. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

rebeccab1966
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting v2011:

Me either.

Quoting katy_kay08:

Ok, this made me cry a little!

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 17, 2013 at 5:52 PM

Agreed. 

Quoting erika9009:

there are many good people out there.  They just seem to be pushed to silence with the likes of Miley Cyrus and twerking.

Any good deed is best done anonymous.  If you do it for the recognition, you did it for the wrong reason.

Quoting katy_kay08:

flika
by Bronze Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this
When my ex left us homeless, I was between sleeping in the car or a hotel. We got those coupons at Denny's and stayed in a hotel with breakfast for a reasonable price. While we were in the hotel that night we met an Australian Dr visiting for a conference and he was leaving the next day. He was sitting by himself and I was with my dd and little ds, who at that time he was 1.5
I was very upset and crying and thinking where will we go the next day. He was really nice and talk to us for a while.

The next morning we were going to check out and the lady at the counter told me the Dr paid my bill. I started crying again. I couldn't believe what this man did for us.
katy_kay08
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

It's easy to forget because of the things you read here?  If the board had that kind of negative impact on my perception of humanity I would certainly look to remove the negativity from my daily life?  I can't imagine giving a social networking site that type of power over my outlook on the goodness of others.

Quoting cjsbmom:

It's easy to forget when there is so much negativity in the world, especially on this board. 

Quoting katy_kay08:

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 17, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Awesome !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)