Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you tend to graves?

Posted by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM
  • 71 Replies

Decorate them and take flowers and such?

Why or why not?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I did for my papa. I no longer do as they have taken up the urns to place flowers because they were being stolen. I do go visit on occasion.

PestPatti
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

No I don't.  My mother and sister are in a Catholic cemetery, with strict rules about what can and cant be done. 

dalbax2
by Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I try to go at least once a year to my former in-laws lot and leave flowers.  I do visit other times when I can but don't leave flowers every time.  Years ago my ex and his nephew used to take care of 3 different cemeteries....mowing, trimming, taking care of flowers, etc.  I used to help alot just as a sign of respect as most of these people I never knew.  I just don't like to see neglected lots.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

My parents do- Their parents, aunts, uncles and some grand parents are buried in the Catholic cemetery one block from my parent's home. My parents will be buried there too. My dad goes to the cemetery every day. My takes flowers weekly. They trim and maintain each site.  I have told them that I do not share this same devotion or adoration to an earthen site. I am sure they think I am blasphemous in this regard.

It is a compulsive with my parents.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The only grave I can visit is my grandparents.  They are buried together at the local National Cemetary though and there are rules.  I usually drop off a potted plant if I'm in the area (it's about 1.5 hours from where I live) and they will tend the plant until it dies.  They provide plastic containers for cut flowers and remove them when they die.  That's all you can leave, they will remove everything else.  Like the military, the cemetary is very uniform.  It's actually really neat to go there during Memorial Day or Veterans Day because they put flags on every grave.

lga1965
by on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM
7 moms liked this

No. The cemetery does that. I am not a fan of graves and visiting them. I don't want anyone to come to visit my grave either. LOL. Why look at a place where your loved one's body is in a casket, decaying? I prefer to remember them the way they were when they were alive. I have no idea where they are after they die...except in that casket, decaying.The Funeral Industry has convinced everyone to spend thousands of dollars on a casket and a vault and a gravestone and a Funeral.....it is so unnecessary,in my opinion. The guilt they make you feel , making you spend the money to show how much your loved one meant to you ,is unfair. That is just how I feel. I am probably the only one here who does.

Della529
by Matlock on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't do the "visiting" thing, but I do try to go and clean my grandparents crypt.  It's too beautiful to let it turn all yucky.

As far as I believe those things are for the living, not the dead.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I on a somewhat regular basis go out to Matt's gravesite with the kids to leave flowers. There are always live flowers at his grave.
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 17, 2013 at 10:39 PM
2 moms liked this

No. I'm not a fan of cemeteries. 

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
No, although I have been accused of having picnics in cemeteries
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN