Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Angry Atheists Continue Relentless Attack on the Ground Zero Cross

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
  • 204 Replies

Angry Atheists Continue Relentless Attack on the Ground Zero Cross

aclj

Following a big victory for the Ground Zero Cross earlier this year, where a federal judge threw out an atheist lawsuit to tear down the Cross, angry atheists are now appealing that ruling to a federal appeals court.

The Ground Zero Cross, two intersecting steel beams found in the wreckage of the World Trade Center, became a symbol of hope and healing for first responders on the ground in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks and for thousands of Americans across the nation.

Angry atheists, from the particularly vitriolic American Atheists, demanded that it be torn down.  They attempted to make a federal case of their hurt feelings and lost.

The trial court correctly noted that the Cross was a historic artifact – an actual piece of 9/11 history.  It really meant something to those affected.

The angry atheists’ reaction was unsurprising.  “We are angry that we have to have this fight,” said the president of the group, David Silverman.

Despite their unmitigated rage, placing this Cross in a museum does not violate the Constitution.  As the Supreme Court has repeatedly held that the Constitution’s “goal of avoiding governmental endorsement does not require eradication of all religious symbols in the public realm.”  Simply put, the Constitution is not an atheist manifesto.

The fact is their lawsuit alleges that the mere “existence of the cross” has given them “depression,” “anxiety,” “mental pain and anguish,” and even “headaches.”  For those who claim to have no faith, they are assigning near supernatural qualities to the Cross.

Ironic as it is, their challenge to the Cross, its historic significance, and the real impact it had on thousands of Americans is real.

We are preparing to file a critical amicus brief defending the Cross in the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.

source

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM
16 moms liked this

meh, I think anyone that assigns any form of importance to a piece of twisted metal needs to have their heads examined... 

however, it is pretty disturbing that an instrument of torture is being assigned that form of importance. (historically, crucifixtion was a torture method, used far into the 17th century)

terpmama
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:50 AM
3 moms liked this

So actual pieces of the tower that happen to be in a lower case t shape are being taken to a museum? Am I correct?   

supercarp
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM
14 moms liked this

I have never understood why atheists feel threatened by crosses or nativity scenes. Nobody is asking them to believe or donate. If their issue is they don't want to see something that offends them, well, I don't want to see ads for stripper bars or Hooters, but I just ignore them.

glorytojehovah
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM
7 moms liked this

Many Christians lost their lives that day and athiests should respect that and leave them alone who want that memorial. They claim they want coexistence but hate anything that references God or what He stands for.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
6 moms liked this

I don't agree with the lawsuit.  I'm not a member of any atheist organization, including this one.  I don't care if people want to see this particular T as a cross, and if a museum wants to display it that's fine.  There's no government sponsorship of religion in it that I can see.  

Sorry to disappoint all those who want me to be foaming at the mouth over it.  

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:56 AM
3 moms liked this
Unless you were THERE THAT day, there is little you can understand about how it felt to have that ONE THING standing alone, above and amongst the fire, smoke and mangled rubble and decimated bodies.
terpmama
by Silver Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Quoting momtoscott:

I don't agree with the lawsuit.  I'm not a member of any atheist organization, including this one.  I don't care if people want to see this particular T as a cross, and if a museum wants to display it that's fine.  There's no government sponsorship of religion in it that I can see.  

I agree
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:05 AM
5 moms liked this
So did many atheists, muslims, Jews etc, so I'm not sure of your point.

Quoting glorytojehovah:

Many Christians lost their lives that day and athiests should respect that and leave them alone who want that memorial. They claim they want coexistence but hate anything that references God or what He stands for.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM
I agree

Quoting momtoscott:

glorytojehovah
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:08 AM
4 moms liked this

And if they want to put up a memorial of their own let them. My point is that this is a memorial and people should be allowed to express what's in their hearts. At least that is the loving thing to do. 

Quoting jessilin0113:

So did many atheists, muslims, Jews etc, so I'm not sure of your point.

Quoting glorytojehovah:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN