Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

JC Penney returns to old logo

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

The founder of the branding consulting firm that worked with JCPenney on its failed logo redesign says that going back to the company's old logo will not fix its continued struggles. In an op-ed at Ad Age, BrandAdvisors founder Charles Rashall said that the reason JCPenney's rebranding failed was because the company did not make enough substantive changes to go with the logo or clearly communicate its brand story.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/why-the-old-logo-wont-help-jcpenney-the-brief-2013-10#ixzz2i5B3YxV2

JCPenney shoppers

This is the recently ditched logo.

Does a logo change influence where or not you buy from an established company? 

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Logo changes have no influence on my buying habits.  I'm not visual enough to really notice them much.  I think in general it's a sign that the company is floundering and spending effort in the wrong places.  

I believe the last time I actually bought something at a JC Penney was in the 1970s.   I sometimes wander through the store.  

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

That would not effect my purchasing at all.  Theonly JC Penny near me is a good 45 min drive.  We go there once a year for swimsuits for my dd's.  They have the best selection and fit.

Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM
1 mom liked this

This

Quoting momtoscott:

Logo changes have no influence on my buying habits.  I'm not visual enough to really notice them much.  I think in general it's a sign that the company is floundering and spending effort in the wrong places.  

I believe the last time I actually bought something at a JC Penney was in the 1970s.   I sometimes wander through the store.  

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I wonder if their loss is sales is more because they tried to upscale their lines but it is rather bland for what people see when they enter any door. I know for the one near me I am drawn to their showcased Sephora studio and while I pass by their clothing I am neither drawn to look at it nor do I particularly notice it.

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

That would not effect my purchasing at all.  Theonly JC Penny near me is a good 45 min drive.  We go there once a year for swimsuits for my dd's.  They have the best selection and fit.

fudgybuddymom
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:36 AM
1 mom liked this

No

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My husband just bought a shirt that was "on sale" from JC Penny's for $12. He got home and peeled the sale sticker off and the original price was $9. I think they need to fix a lot more than just their logo. We are never shopping there again after we return our "deal".
stormcris
by Christy on Oct. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

That is a strange sale tactic although it is used in many stores they just do not usually leave evidence. Sadly I recently found this tactic used in grocery stores.

Quoting kidlover2:

My husband just bought a shirt that was "on sale" from JC Penny's for $12. He got home and peeled the sale sticker off and the original price was $9. I think they need to fix a lot more than just their logo. We are never shopping there again after we return our "deal".

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I like the new logo better but no, it won't influence my shopping decisions. The new logo was from the ousted CEO, I think getting rid of it is an attempt to erase him from their company. The new (old) logo won't suddenly bring in tons of revenue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN