Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obamacare: forced home inspections...true or rumor?

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM
  • 39 Replies

I read somewhere that Obamacare would be having forced home visits to people who have children, which included people who

a) pregnant women who are under 21

b) low income families

c) families who have a history of child abuse, substance abuse, tobacco use

d) families with individuals who are serving or formally serving in the military w/ multiple deployments outside the US

e) families with children who have low student achievement, developmental disabilities or delays

I also heard that we can't "ground" our children they consider it "separation neglect" and that they will remove your kids if you have alcohol in the house. Idk if those are rumors.

Ik the shutdown ended recently, but I want to know what the update is on Obamacare. I'm under insurance of my husband's job. We're on SNAP Food Stamps and he's in the military, but he's a reservist. The only time he left US was in the Marines was over 15 years ago and went on base in Okinawa.

Many thanks!

by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I am sure some of those are rumors. But some of those things would not surprise me if they are true.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:16 PM
3 moms liked this
Think about it logically. There is really no way that any agency has the amount of time or funds, let alone the staff to conduct forced home visits. Especially since a pretty significant portion of the population fits into one or more of those categories
erika9009
by Bronze Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 1:24 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it will be one of those laws that is used when they "want to get you"

So, if you speak out or are too anti Obama, you will all of a sudden start getting visits.

Am I the only one who sees this selective enforcement as very USSR like????

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

anxiousschk
by anxiouss on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Yup.  

Quoting meriana:

Think about it logically. There is really no way that any agency has the amount of time or funds, let alone the staff to conduct forced home visits. Especially since a pretty significant portion of the population fits into one or more of those categories

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Is it realistic or logical for those things to be in the bill? No.

Would I be surprised to find them in the bil? Again no.

bazjack
by Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Snopes.com: FALSE. http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/homeinspections.asp

There is a provision in the ACA that provides funding to existing state programs that offer assistance to high-risk families. They are entirely voluntary programs.

This whole rumor started with a conservative blog post in August that people have picked up and spread without investigating the truth of it.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM
1 mom liked this

rumor.  The ACA provides additional a grant money for state programs in place to provide in home assistance to candidates.  One of the key component for grant eligibility is that all programs MUST be voluntary.  

page 250 http://housedocs.house.gov/energycommerce/ppacacon.pdf

lga1965
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Thank you. This rumor mongering by conservative trouble makers makes me angry. I wish everyone would check Snopes first.

Quoting bazjack:

Snopes.com: FALSE. http://www.snopes.com/politics/medical/homeinspections.asp

There is a provision in the ACA that provides funding to existing state programs that offer assistance to high-risk families. They are entirely voluntary programs.

This whole rumor started with a conservative blog post in August that people have picked up and spread without investigating the truth of it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daughteroftruth
by on Oct. 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM
1 mom liked this

no, no one would be forced to have home inspections.  There is already a service available that outreaches to at risk families. They don't do 'home inspections" but home visits, so like a young teen mother who asks for the service would receives visits from nurse who would come in and check on her and the baby, ask questions, answer questions.  My sister had one when she gave birth to her dd at the age of 16. The nurse came in and helped my sister with concerns that she had, she also was able to help identify depression and direct my sister towards the best services to help.  

What the GOP is throwing a fit is about is a service that has been here for years already and the Affordable health care Act is going to expand a states ability to offer those services.

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Oct. 18, 2013 at 9:09 PM
Um, people are being forced to carry health insurance so don't be surprised when some people are forced to volunteer to have home visits. If your not paying for your Obamacare you have already given up your freedom to government.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)