Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is Miley Cyrus totallly off, or is she right on? I don't get her.

Posted by   + Show Post

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
valrubio
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is mostly an act. She wants everyone talking about her. She is making millions because of it. Everyone is feeding into her plan. She is probably very smart.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this
The new rave scene is going mainstream now. Miley is bringing it out. I predict that sensibility will make it's way into popular culture. Lucky for me because the shows we do at our place went from 500 people in a crowded warehouse space to 2500 people in a huge venue. Last week we had a band that was half heavy metal instruments and half macbooks and they were dressed as robots that shot lasers out of their hands. Like 2000 kids came to that show. The local paper did a write up saying wtf is this now? And how did 2000 kids know about it? Lol

Quoting cjsbmom:

That's funny, because one of her biggest defenses when the shit hit the fan over her performance was that she was just being "original." Nope. Guess she can't even do that right. LOL

Quoting stacymomof2:

Lol nope. Not original. That look and attitude is passé now. Those teddy bears and crap at that one performance were the thing last year. Club girls would wear big foam animal heads with underwear and combat boots. And twerk. Lol I remember thinking wtf? But it was part of the electronic music/festie/new rave scene.

Quoting cjsbmom:

So basically, she's not even being original. What a shocker. She can't even come up with her own "thing." 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Meh. She is trying to be shocking and cool. I agree she gets too much attention for it. I know what she is trying to do, it is a gogo dancer thing they did in the clubs a couple of years ago...yes even the tongue thing. One of the most popular gogo dancers that worked most of the big shows where I work had the same hair and outfits and twerking and toungue thing. She picked it up from other bigger shows she worked. Miley is just doing that thing. But two years later. So it's not even shocking anymore.

Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this
She's right on! At first I was disgusted but after seeing her on a couple talk shows I got it. She's not denying her actions and how it's rubbing some/most the wrong way. She is trying to get away from the Hanna Montana image that everyone thinks is her. We've seen that even before the show ended that she wasn't Hannah. Miley was partying and smoking then and every news tabloid would post pics and everyone would feign shock. It is probably hard to have to be the opposite of yourself at a time when your gaining your identity (as a teen). Good for her! Miley do you!
PEEPkiller
by Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

She's attempting to be shocking and provocative, like Britney, Christina and Madonna before her. She's also still quite young and has a lot to learn about good attention and bad attention. I hope when she matures she will figure out that you don't need to act that way to get the attention you want.

Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this
Come on ((wraps arm around yours)) let's skip off to the tavern grab a couple tasty drinks and listen to some rock music, with our old asses. :-)

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm out of touch. I like rock, and people who write and play their own stuff. This kind of music, I just don't follow it or people like Miley. I'm officially old.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Can I bring a relic from the past, otherwise known as my electric guitar?

Quoting Iconoclast:

Come on ((wraps arm around yours)) let's skip off to the tavern grab a couple tasty drinks and listen to some rock music, with our old asses. :-)

Quoting shannonnigans:

I'm out of touch. I like rock, and people who write and play their own stuff. This kind of music, I just don't follow it or people like Miley. I'm officially old.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krysstizzle
by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 11:38 AM

I was reading an article about this the other day. God, I remember going to raves when I was about 17, so 12 years ago. It's strange to watcht the transition from what has long been an underground counterculture (since, what? mid-80s?) going very much mainstream. It's quite interesting, though. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

The new rave scene is going mainstream now. Miley is bringing it out. I predict that sensibility will make it's way into popular culture. Lucky for me because the shows we do at our place went from 500 people in a crowded warehouse space to 2500 people in a huge venue. Last week we had a band that was half heavy metal instruments and half macbooks and they were dressed as robots that shot lasers out of their hands. Like 2000 kids came to that show. The local paper did a write up saying wtf is this now? And how did 2000 kids know about it? Lol

Quoting cjsbmom:

That's funny, because one of her biggest defenses when the shit hit the fan over her performance was that she was just being "original." Nope. Guess she can't even do that right. LOL

Quoting stacymomof2:

Lol nope. Not original. That look and attitude is passé now. Those teddy bears and crap at that one performance were the thing last year. Club girls would wear big foam animal heads with underwear and combat boots. And twerk. Lol I remember thinking wtf? But it was part of the electronic music/festie/new rave scene.

Quoting cjsbmom:

So basically, she's not even being original. What a shocker. She can't even come up with her own "thing." 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Meh. She is trying to be shocking and cool. I agree she gets too much attention for it. I know what she is trying to do, it is a gogo dancer thing they did in the clubs a couple of years ago...yes even the tongue thing. One of the most popular gogo dancers that worked most of the big shows where I work had the same hair and outfits and twerking and toungue thing. She picked it up from other bigger shows she worked. Miley is just doing that thing. But two years later. So it's not even shocking anymore.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Yep. They are a nice crowd though. Very polite and never fight. We have yet to see a fight in like 5 years of doing these underground electronic shows. They are people who if they knock into each other on a crowded dance floor apologize and give each other a crystal or something. Lol sweet group. Big difference from the top 40 club kids who go to the main club. There you have people fighting for bumping into each other. But we will have 4 times the number of people going to the electronic shows with no problems. The biggest problem is keeping the mj out of the show. There is nothing as mellow as trippy electronic music and 2000 stoned 22 year olds talking about "plur" (peace love understanding respect. ) they are new age hippie types. The shows smell like mj, patchouli and bo. Lol in the main club it smells like drakkar noir and beer.

Quoting krysstizzle:

I was reading an article about this the other day. God, I remember going to raves when I was about 17, so 12 years ago. It's strange to watcht the transition from what has long been an underground counterculture (since, what? mid-80s?) going very much mainstream. It's quite interesting, though. 

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting stacymomof2:

Quoting cjsbmom:

Quoting stacymomof2:

PoliteisRight
by New Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this

YES!!!

Quoting Iconoclast:

Quoting shannonnigans:

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Oct. 19, 2013 at 3:49 PM

This. Madonna was more of a shit stirrer than MIley.

Quoting PestPatti:

Ehhh doesn't really bother me or phase me.  Madonna, Lady Gaga, and others have all done things that "others: deemed wrong or scandalous.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)